Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying a ruler help wanted >

Buying a ruler help wanted

Buying a ruler help wanted

Old 03-03-2010, 09:01 AM

All the advice here is right on target! Coupons (and sales) are your friend.

Before coming across the pond, you might want to investigate what manufacturer you might like; i.e., I use only Creative Grids (they're clear and don't slip much) vs. Omni Grid (can't stand the yellow). Everyone seems to have their own preference. If you have other quilter friends, or access to a store that carries a variety, it might be worth looking them over.

Hope you have a great visit here!!
Old 03-03-2010, 09:01 AM

If you do get the Joanne's coupon and happen to go to their store, check out their Fiskars Rotary Cutting Set. It retails for $47.99 before the 40 to 50% coupon. It contains a self-healing rotary mat, a rotary cutter, and a 6 X 24in ruler. That's how I got mine.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

While you are in the states, go to a glass shop, and have them cut you all different size rulers from pexiglass. There won't be any measuring lines but it's the best value for square up rulers. Get 4 1/2 up to 12 1/2 and you should be set for any quilt block.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

I use all Omni-grid or Omni-grip rulers. what ever brand you get, try to stay with one brand so your measurements will always match. Mixing rulers can cause you to be off a bit if mixing them when cutting fabrics.
good luck.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:39 PM

Yes, be sure and get coupons for Joanns. My sunday paper always has them. I dont know about the rest of the country but the Phoenix sunday paper has them.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:51 PM

Wow, you are all so lovely. I didn't expect so many replies, and all such useful advice. That's fantastic. Thank you all so much.
I think I can get by until I visit and from what's been said it'll be worth it (it's a holiday, so just 3 weeks in the summer, but I can't wait) - I'm struggling, but I have got a rotary cutter and mat, and am using a 12 inch ruler. Now, I know that's not brilliant, but it's workable, because I have so much to learn in terms of colour mixing (if you've seen my house post, you'll know how rubbish I am!) and fabric choices, that I think the rulers can wait.
Are JoAnn's and Michaels all over the states (we're visiting Florida), so will it be easy to find? Really useful to know about the coupons - though we won't have a computer. Also a good idea about possibly cheaper to buy and post back - I was planning to do that if I go over the limit on fabric. I've bought two or three times from the states cos it's cheaper even after shipping. I'm not sure what the limit is, but I think it's high enough. Gotta do some research soon.
:D
I can't wait. Guaranteed sun. Not like cold rainy England! :D
Old 03-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Power Poster

sometimes people post coupons or links to some in various groups.
one that does that is H G T V quilting and needlework forum.
good luck.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:49 PM

I am afraid that £30 for two larger rulers is pretty standard here, and I agree that Cotton Patch are great and very friendly.
Another place I found but haven't ordered from yet is Quilt Direct http://www.quiltdirect.co.uk/index.html
They have a few supplies and look reasonable.
I have also had good experiences with buying rulers from the US on Ebay, and didn't have to pay any customs at all.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:22 PM

Here's a suggestion. Type into your computer search: Michael's Arts & Crafts and then ask for Florida locations. It will ask you for a city and probably a mile radius. You can do the same sort of search for Joann Stores.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:21 AM

Lace Hearts, I have sent you a PM. I live in Florida.
Cathie