Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek >

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Old 12-11-2020, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by leheath8 View Post
@sewingpup if you figure out which die, would you mind sending it to me in a private message?
Sure..in the meantime....if you have printed out the PDF she provided....if you look at the bottom of page two where it continues on the top of page three...there is a big hint....as to the size of an hourglass unit these triangles would make...although she does remind us...that we are not making hourglass units.
Old 12-11-2020, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
Sure..in the meantime....if you have printed out the PDF she provided....if you look at the bottom of page two where it continues on the top of page three...there is a big hint....as to the size of an hourglass unit these triangles would make...although she does remind us...that we are not making hourglass units.
OK, that was the die I was planning to use. Others on Facebook seem to indicate it works except it cuts the end tips off the orange triangles. I'm thinking that won't be a problem, but wish I knew for sure!
Old 12-11-2020, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by leheath8 View Post
OK, that was the die I was planning to use. Others on Facebook seem to indicate it works except it cuts the end tips off the orange triangles. I'm thinking that won't be a problem, but wish I knew for sure!
I think the best thing to do is just make a trial one out of other scrapes and see how it works.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:30 PM

I using the my standard HST method and trimming to the unfinished size she instructed. Much easier and faster for me. I’m cut and ready to sew...will do that tomorrow.. All of my neutrals are white....decided to not use any off-white or cream... I had more white scraps..and, I’m attempting to just use the small stacks of each color I chose on the onset. I’ll pull from stash if I get low...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	674BDE87-A44E-45AC-90BE-F3186ECB4633.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	438.7 KB
ID:	630275  

Last edited by Teen; 12-11-2020 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I just finished making some units just like this clue- for a Christmas quilt. Sized aren't the same but that is no big deal. I'm going scrappy with neutrals as I have so many of them, did the same for the last clue. I love using my easy angle ruler for blocks like this, and I've found I convert most directions so I can use it. The quilt I'm working on is a good example, the directions call for cutting squares and then cutting them on the diagonal, often twice. That method just is not for me!
I’m not a fan of cutting the diagonal twice, either... My measurements are never accurate with that method. Totally user error so I stick with what works for me.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:29 PM

I finished sewing my blocks last night and was able to trim my final hourglasses earlier when my work remote server crashed. I also just learned that my husband will have to go on a work trip next week for at least 3 days, leaving me alone with our 3-month old. 😳 So hopefully, I can get most of Clue 3 done this weekend while they spend some daddy daughter time together. I'm really starting to regret doing 2 colorways now.

Pic 1 is a sampling of Bonnie's colorway. Pic 2 is my hand dyed fabric (the new color is Sage Green). I cut out my pale powder pink that I was planning to use as my neutral, and substituted plain, boring Kona White. But I think it helps give my blocks a sharpness that the powder pink was missing.

I've read the full instructions for Clue 3 a few times, and I'm about to load up in quilting juice and give it a go.

Name:	IMG_20201211_164506_501.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	1,002.0 KB
ID:	630277   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201211_164944_472.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	630278  
Old 12-12-2020, 05:04 AM

Default Oh no

I misread the starting size by a quarter inch. So you know how many pieces I will be resizing. I see a new rotary cutter blade in my future!!
Old 12-12-2020, 05:22 AM

Quiltylaf, both of your sets look wonderful!

DebLuvsQ, bummer! But it sounds like you made them too big? (which is better than too small!)

After making up my combos, I was too tired to do anything else yesterday. Hoping for a productive day today.
Old 12-12-2020, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
I using the my standard HST method and trimming to the unfinished size she instructed. Much easier and faster for me. I’m cut and ready to sew...will do that tomorrow.. All of my neutrals are white....decided to not use any off-white or cream... I had more white scraps..and, I’m attempting to just use the small stacks of each color I chose on the onset. I’ll pull from stash if I get low...
Teen, your whites look crisp and beautiful. I am trying to choose my lightest neutrals but am scraping the bottom of the barrel, so I ordered some low volume whites from Etsy.
Old 12-12-2020, 07:39 AM

If I can make this whole quilt from stash, without repeating any fabric in each clue, does it mean I have a problem? Eh.... asking for a friend. Reds and Oranges have been curated.

Name:	IMG_20201212_103623_608.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	651.1 KB
ID:	630283