Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would be something to use >

What would be something to use

What would be something to use

Old 12-12-2020, 04:58 AM

Yes, that happens to me also. It's the ratio of chair height to table height. Measure it at home and then with a chair and table at normal height. I often take a firm cushion so that I sit higher than the standard chair height.
Old 12-12-2020, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

Usually quilt shop classes are folding tables set up. They are too high for me so I bring a bean bag type cushion to put in the chair. It doesn't get squashed and forms to my bottom. I bought the 'beans' at Walmart and made one to suit me.
Old 12-12-2020, 11:06 AM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I have some good ideas now. The chairs are not adjustable they seem to be standard chairs
Old 12-12-2020, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

I've pretty much decided that I'm not comfortable sewing anywhere but at home, so for the most part I don't. It's not worth the back ache. If there's a class I really want to take, I bring a pillow to sit on, and that helps with the chair height. Some ladies bring their own chairs.
Old 12-12-2020, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I've pretty much decided that I'm not comfortable sewing anywhere but at home, so for the most part I don't. It's not worth the back ache. If there's a class I really want to take, I bring a pillow to sit on, and that helps with the chair height. Some ladies bring their own chairs.
One interesting thing many in our guild have figured out after doing a Zoom class, is that it's nice to be taking a class from home so you don't have to drag a machine and supplies and your set up is one you are used to--down side is the social interaction is little bit reduced. And the teacher must be well organized!
Old 12-12-2020, 11:02 PM

I've found that a lot of chairs at shops and retreats make my back hurt because they don't slope down slightly in the thigh area, and I always end up sitting hunched over. I just bought a new office "task" chair with this feature and it is SO comfy. I don't feel like I'm sliding off at all, but I do find it much easier to sit straight.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:35 AM

I got risers for one of my tables at Bed, Bath and Beyond that were adjustable. I got just the right height with them.
Old 12-13-2020, 01:01 AM

I agree that for me the back ache problem sewing away from home at quilt shops, guild workshops, or retreats was the chair. I solved it buy bringing my own rolling adjustable task chair with no arms with me whenever I sew away from home. It fits perfectly in the back seat of my van, seat of chair to seat of van with rolling legs in the air. I would like to take credit for this great idea but alas, a dear quilty friend brought her chair to one of our retreats and a light bulb simply went off in my head. One of those "Now why didn't I think of that" moments. Now quite a few of us bring our own chairs.