Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek >

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Old 12-13-2020, 08:23 PM

I, too, used the strip method and it worked well for me especially when doing so many.
Old 12-14-2020, 01:41 PM

I am still plodding along on steps 1 and 2. Most are sewn but I was waiting on my clapper to come before I pressed them. I had never made hourglass squares before so I made a few practice ones and had a hard time getting them to lay flat. I am happy to report that this challenge is indeed working as a boot camp for me. Doing the same thing so many times has greatly improved my cutting and sewing in a straight line abilities. I also discovered Deb Tucker and her videos and her trimmer have helped a lot. Even when I use my omnigrid ruler, I am using it better after her methods showed me how I should be lining things up.

I am getting the vaccine this week and also responsible for getting my staff scheduled so that is taking up a lot of time. I am hoping to have time to sew but I know I will have plenty of time after the holidays to catch up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sample squares.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	388.6 KB
ID:	630326  
Old 12-14-2020, 02:37 PM

Wonky Star: I love your colors. They remind me of Spring, a time that can't get here soon enough. I hope that all of us will have been vaccinated by then and normal life as we know it is just around the corner.

I have finished week 3 of my half-hearted attempt to make half as many blocks as required for the full quilt. I was glad to get to use the rest of the colors. I am replacing the red for blue-green ("red sun sets into the sea") and orange for green ("orange leaf yearns to be green"). The attached photo has all the blocks I have made so far.

I'm speculating that we have a lot of "grey" yet to sew since Bonnie suggested 5 yards for the full quilt.

Name:	GrassyCreek-Weeks 1-3.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	630327  
Old 12-14-2020, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
I grieves me to say this....but I have concluded after buying straight stitch plates and straight stitch feet, and a walking foot and then trying to address needle positions.....I bought a 5.5 mm feed dog machine without all the bells and whistles to do my piecing on....it is just so much easier than trying to deal with those wide feed dogs...I sure wish they would make more high end machines with the narrow feed dogs...for us quilters....and you know what...those embroidery machines do not need the wide feet....the only time those wide problematic feet are needed is if and when you do the decorative stitches....I am using my ancient Viking D1 on this mystery with it's narrow feed dogs and that machine also did beautiful embroidery until I wore out the embroidery unit...
I'm with you, sewingpup. My Bernina 570 QE has those wide feed dogs, which I hate. I find myself using the regular sewing foot instead of the ¼" foot and moving the needle over. It seems to work better, but that makes the quilting foot useless. This machine is supposed to be for quilting, but it came with a buttonhole foot and not a walking foot. Go figure!

Leslie
Old 12-14-2020, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by audsgirl View Post
I'm with you, sewingpup. My Bernina 570 QE has those wide feed dogs, which I hate. I find myself using the regular sewing foot instead of the ¼" foot and moving the needle over. It seems to work better, but that makes the quilting foot useless. This machine is supposed to be for quilting, but it came with a buttonhole foot and not a walking foot. Go figure!

Leslie
I have the same issue with my Viking 870 Quilt. 1/4 inch foot is useless, as is the 1/4 inch setting. I found my own sweet spot. And yes, a really nice buttonhole foot but no walking or FMQ foot. But I’ve got my settings figured out and have moved on to a Sweet Sixteen for quilting so it’s all good. And even though it seems I’m complaining I really do love my machine.
Old 12-15-2020, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
I have the same issue with my Viking 870 Quilt. 1/4 inch foot is useless, as is the 1/4 inch setting. I found my own sweet spot. And yes, a really nice buttonhole foot but no walking or FMQ foot. But I’ve got my settings figured out and have moved on to a Sweet Sixteen for quilting so it’s all good. And even though it seems I’m complaining I really do love my machine.
I was thinking if a new stitch plate might work.....The problem with the wide feed dog machines is that when you are making a quarter inch seam....the right feed dog is not underneath the fabric so the left feed dog is doing all the moving of the fabric. so I am thinking if there was a feed dog with the single stitch hole position far enough to the right that the fabric will be moved by both feed dogs...it would work better....I know that we can do this by changing our needle position to the right. but this has to be done with the regular stitch plate on, and the triangles still get sucked down by the wide hole in the regular stitch plate....I was trying to brain storm how to plug up most of that hole in my regular stitch plate so I could move my needle to right...of course...the manufacturer's all make their quarter inch quilting foot to work in the middle position...which again leaves that right feed dog too far right to move the fabric....any inventors out there? get to work...tee hee
Old 12-15-2020, 07:22 AM

Clue 3 is done. Since I used darker shades of gold, I switched my orange to lighter gold and golden yellows.

Name:	20201215_100636.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	630339  
Old 12-15-2020, 08:15 AM

Your units look great. With the color swap, you should have plenty of contrast.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:59 AM

I decided to join in on the fun. I'm using the colors bonnie suggested. I have one constant fabric and that's by orange. I made half of the block requirements. Once I see the finish quilt I will decide if I want to make more units or add a wider border. I'll get pictures posted this weekend.
Old 12-15-2020, 10:17 AM

Wonky star, your fabrics are lovely! I am plodding, too. My back continues to hamper my efforts, and I can only have a brief session of cutting/pressing before I need a long break.

I have been working on cutting my next prep quilt; it is a log cabin, and it should provide adequate leader/ender pieces for the rest of the mystery. I've also been pressing my clue 3 fabrics; clue 2 still needs pressing and trimming.

SuzSLO, I love your photo and your beautiful colors!

Quilting Vagabond, looking excellent!

Queenbarbiej, glad you are jumping in!