Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No more mystery bundles. Nope no more! >

No more mystery bundles. Nope no more!

No more mystery bundles. Nope no more!

Old 12-18-2020, 08:10 AM

I might try a limited mystery bundle - such as all solids, all batiks, all blenders. Those could be useful to fill out gaps in stash. Solids are always useful and I have next to nothing in the way of batiks or blenders in stash.

But, I'd have no use for juvenile prints, Civil War era, country-cutesy prints, etc. Too much chance of waste for a general mystery bundle.

I've been trying to organize by color rather than designer/collection - HA! I have so many large, bright prints I may just group them all together by floral, geometric, etc. Or maybe from loud to raucous to "it goes to 11". : )

I also tend to buy the same prints in different colorways. I find those hard to break apart into color groups but keeping them together feels like I'm limiting myself.

When I first started I did a monthly modern print color club - 12 modern print fqs a month in one color rotating around the wheel. That helped give me at least some fabric in colors I might not tend towards. That was enough randomness for me.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:36 AM

I ordered one mystery bundle for the first time recently. It was a Kaffe Fassett bundle, so I thought, how bad can it be? It was the ugliest group of fabric I’ve seen and honestly couldn’t believe he’d designed anything so unattractive. I thought some of it was probably from when he first started out and had been sitting on a shelf for years. I took it up with the vendor, who promptly refunded my money without blinking. I won’t order a mystery bundle again, no matter whose name is on it!
Old 12-18-2020, 09:07 AM

I've not purchased a mystery bundle, but my stash looks like I have. It hit me the other day how to use some of these "will never use fabrics".. Cloth bags to ship meal worms for blue birds. Sew a little drawstring, stuff with stripped newspaper, add your meal worms and ship. They will probably end up like feed sack material, treasured!
Old 12-18-2020, 09:11 AM

I have never bought mystery bundles. In fact, I hardly buy fabric on line unless I already have some and know the true color and quality of the fabric. Your bundles could be used in scrap quilts if you like to make scrappy quilts.
Old 12-18-2020, 02:04 PM

I have bought two mystery batik bundles from the same company in the same order. I wanted to add variety and dimension to my jewel-tone batiks. I only buy jewel-tone batiks despite my intention to broaden my collection.

Results: There were no repeats within the bundles nor with the second bundle. About half of the fabric, are ones that I would have chosen. The other half were lighter shades or colors that are not my favorites but are still very nice. Only one or two from each bundle were pieces that I find unattractive. Since I will be paper-piecing and I wanted different tones and a wide variety of colors, my purchase was a success.

Yes, I would consider buying a mystery batik bundle again.
Old 12-18-2020, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

I don't buy any pre cuts of any kind. I only use yardage that I already have. I am trying to use up my stash. When the yardage gets smaller then I use it in scrappy quilts. I try to make a variety of scrappy quilts for foster kids in my county.
Old 12-18-2020, 04:45 PM

never bought one, don't even like to buy jelly rolls unless I can see the whole thing.
Old 12-19-2020, 06:28 AM

I bought a mystery scrap bag exactly once, from a well known seller, to increase my purchase enough to get free shipping. It was supposed to be brand name fabric from a collection, in usable sizes up to four inches wide. What I got was a roll of selvages off of plain white fabric. No patterns or designs, just the selvage edges with about half an inch of usable fabric on each piece, with one strip of blue in there for variety. I made a rag rug out of it because I couldn't throw it away, but it was worthless for quilting.
Old 12-19-2020, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kwiltr View Post
I ordered one mystery bundle for the first time recently. It was a Kaffe Fassett bundle, so I thought, how bad can it be? It was the ugliest group of fabric I’ve seen and honestly couldn’t believe he’d designed anything so unattractive. I thought some of it was probably from when he first started out and had been sitting on a shelf for years. I took it up with the vendor, who promptly refunded my money without blinking. I won’t order a mystery bundle again, no matter whose name is on it!
Probably the same one I got and I thought the same as you. Ugly and old. And I did the same as you, sent it back.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:20 AM

I never understood why anyone would do this. I always figured I’d end up with a bunch of browns or earth tones when my love is brights and jewel tones