Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome Continental M7 >

Janome Continental M7

Janome Continental M7

Old 12-21-2020, 11:58 AM

Default Janome Continental M7

Saw this machine at the dealer's today. Huge harp...13". Anyone have this or have an opinion about it? Definitely a high end machine!
Old 12-21-2020, 12:19 PM

anybody want to get rid of one? can't stand it?? I'm here, toss it my way. Would almost give anything to have more harp room!! sigh.
Old 12-21-2020, 01:20 PM

I just got a Janome 6700P a little over a month ago, and I test drove the Continental while I was at the dealers. Oooooh, so shiny!!! I love my 6700, with it's 10" of harp space, but if I had the money, I would have definitely gotten the Continental with it's almost 14" (I think it's 13.7")!

The MSRP on it is about $8,000.00, but I don't know what my dealer's asking for it. I didn't want to ask, mostly because my husband was with me and I'm pretty sure I would have gotten the stink-eye if I had!
Old 12-21-2020, 01:31 PM
Administrator

i got an M7 a few months ago.

to say i love it would be an understatement.

if you need a machine that will last "forever" and can afford this one i recommend it highly.

that said, i'm sure [SherylM] you are going to be very happy with your 6700.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:57 AM

I bought mine in July, traded my 9400 in when I took it in to be repaired. I’ve made one quilt on it, a challenging quilt for me, because of the trapezoids and triangles and it was a King sized quilt. Since then I’ve been machine quilting it on my longarm...almost done. So the point I’m trying to make is that I don’t have a lot of experience with it yet. However, I want to love it, and I don’t yet. I had trouble right out of the gate with tension in just regular stitching mode. Turns out there was zero tension on the bobbin case when I took it back to be looked at. I hadn’t changed it, only adjusted the top tension ridiculously low to get anything close to a decent stitch out of it. Then I had trouble getting a consistent scant quarter inch. Tried all the typical feet. Between the angles in the quilt piecing and the other issues, it was a frustrating experience. The dealer is 5 hours away, so I can’t just 'run it in'. I’m hoping when I’m done this quilt and can move on and spend some quality time with it, so I can fall in love with it. If you are on Facebook, there is a group for the M7 Continental you might want to join. There are many people who love the machine and a few like me where the jury is still out. I liked the fact that it does indeed have a huge harp space, the head of the machine is more trim, so the visibility is much better for FMQ, and the lighting is great. I find the big screen for selecting stitches etc is easier to find what you’re looking for vs the 9400 (now the 9450). So there are lots of pros to it.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:03 AM

I have a Janome 8900, 11" harp space, and it works beautifully after 5 years. Only thing I would change: it often takes an extra stitch after I take my foot off the pedal.
Old 12-22-2020, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
that said, i'm sure [SherylM] you are going to be very happy with your 6700.
Oh yes, indeed I am!

Kwiltr, so sorry to hear about the problems you're having with your machine. I sure hope you get them resolved soon so you can fall in love with it!

The only problem I've had with my 6700 (I call her Nelda ) is that I have one cone of thread that she just does. not. like. I can use it in the bobbin just fine, and I can use all the other threads that I have - including the cheap-o serger thread that I use to overcast the cut edges of fabric before I prewash it - but when I try to use it in the top of the machine, the tension goes completely wacky, and nothing I do fixes it.

I have 11 other machines that are all vintage and none of them are picky at all, so this is a bit frustrating, but manageable. But I still love her!
Old 12-23-2020, 05:29 AM
Administrator

[QUOTE=Kwiltr;8445353]...Then I had trouble getting a consistent scant quarter inch. Tried all the typical feet. Between the angles in the quilt piecing and the other issues, it was a frustrating experience. .../QUOTE]

Unless I am doing curved piecing I always use the Accufeed, with the Quarter-Inch Foot.
I tested and found that the same settings will work using either the Accufoot or the O-Foot with guide.

Needle position 8.3 for technically scant.
Needle position 8.5 for slightly "scanter".
Align the fabric edge to the foot guide and between the 1 and 0 on the bobbin cover.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Scant Quarter.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	630515   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scant Quarter.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	630516  

Last edited by patricej; 12-23-2020 at 05:42 AM.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:40 AM

[QUOTE=PatriceJ;8445487]
Originally Posted by Kwiltr View Post
...Then I had trouble getting a consistent scant quarter inch. Tried all the typical feet. Between the angles in the quilt piecing and the other issues, it was a frustrating experience. .../QUOTE]

Unless I am doing curved piecing I always use the Accufeed, with the Quarter-Inch Foot.
I tested and found that the same settings will work using either the Accufoot or the O-Foot with guide.

Needle position 8.3 for technically scant.
Needle position 8.5 for slightly "scanter".
Align the fabric edge to the foot guide and between the 1 and 0 on the bobbin cover.
I also have always used the accufeed 1/4” foot for piecing and love it for that. With that foot, it was hard to get the visibility when trying to line up two trapezoid points and hit it in the joint properly. So I tried the HP foot everyone raves about, but I am so used to having a guide on my foot, I don’t find it works for me to always find the right spot and there is no adjusting the needle position with that foot. I also used the regular 1/4” foot. I can’t remember which I had the most luck with now, I’ve been quilting on my longarm for a month. Once that’s done, I’ll have more time to play with it, without being under a deadline.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:45 AM

[QUOTE=Kwiltr;8445546]
Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post

I also have always used the accufeed 1/4” foot for piecing and love it for that. With that foot, it was hard to get the visibility when trying to line up two trapezoid points and hit it in the joint properly. So I tried the HP foot everyone raves about, but I am so used to having a guide on my foot, I don’t find it works for me to always find the right spot and there is no adjusting the needle position with that foot. I also used the regular 1/4” foot. I can’t remember which I had the most luck with now, I’ve been quilting on my longarm for a month. Once that’s done, I’ll have more time to play with it, without being under a deadline.
Try the clearview foot. It comes with a removable guide. That's what I use
for all my piecing. Can't get the hang on the HP foot either.
Not sure if the clearview foot comes with the machine or you have to buy
separately. I had one for my 6600 and when I got my 9400 I got another
one. Make sure you get the 9mm foot. Here's what it looks like.
https://www.sewvacdirect.com/janome-...-9mm-machines/

Last edited by EasyPeezy; 12-23-2020 at 10:48 AM.