Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you like to make quilts? (in the spirit of psychology rather than actual making) >

Do you like to make quilts? (in the spirit of psychology rather than actual making)

Do you like to make quilts? (in the spirit of psychology rather than actual making)

Old 11-04-2018, 06:13 AM

PS and when my hands need a rest, I read. Love to do that, too!
Old 12-22-2020, 09:03 AM

Well, I can't say I love it, it's just quilting and knitting saved my family. My husband had a stroke a few years ago and he lost his fine motor skills. Literally, anything he was trying to grab and hold in his hands fell down. He was very depressed and we weren't sure if he will go through restorative therapy. His doctor suggested finding a hobby that will improve motor skills. We chose quilting and knitting and that helped!
Old 12-22-2020, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I started quilting when I retired back in 2004. I didn't ever have any intention of doing it, but did watch Alex Anderson every morning before work. I never even told anyone I did that. When I retired, one of my sons said "now that you are retired you can make me a quilt". What??? I said, I don't quilt. And he said, now that you are retired you can learn. I have always sewed and did have (and still do) have the sewing machine I bought for myself in 1964. I really didn't give it another thought til a few weeks later I opened the local paper and saw "beginning quilting class". I took it as a sign! Went to the class and made some good friends and the rest is history. Now I quilt for my own pleasure. I have no deadlines, do what I like, and have given a few away. They will all get donated when I pass. I am not a big producer. I am liking FMQ lately so piecing is a means to get to that part. Not that I am an expert, but, I really like it. Quilting satisfies something in me, so I'll keep doing it til it doesn't.
since I wrote that, said son was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and died November 6, 2020. While he was sick he asked for a quilt and he was able to pick out the pattern and fabrics. He loved looking at it. He preferred to be covered with an Afghan I knitted for him before he got me into quilting. I can’t seem to make it into my quilting room. He was only in there once way before he got sick. Maybe because it was his idea for me to quilt. We are coming off 14 months of taking care of him and then his death. Life is off kilter right now. It will take time.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Sharpdx View Post
Well, I can't say I love it, it's just quilting and knitting saved my family. My husband had a stroke a few years ago and he lost his fine motor skills. Literally, anything he was trying to grab and hold in his hands fell down. He was very depressed and we weren't sure if he will go through restorative therapy. His doctor suggested finding a hobby that will improve motor skills. We chose quilting and knitting and that helped!
My wife and I went through a lot this year. And I've read the statistics of divorces because of isolation. People who were staying home together 24/7 went crazy and mad with each other. I was afraid that may affect my family too, but at the end of the day we found a lot of things that we can do together. She showed me how to make quilts, my son and I showed her how to play video games and I think the same hobbies may rekindle the relationships. My wife sent me a funny article about relationships and according to https://breakupangels.com/positions-...-relationship/, we are having a second honeymoon!
Old 12-22-2020, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
since I wrote that, said son was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and died November 6, 2020. While he was sick he asked for a quilt and he was able to pick out the pattern and fabrics. He loved looking at it. He preferred to be covered with an Afghan I knitted for him before he got me into quilting. I can’t seem to make it into my quilting room. He was only in there once way before he got sick. Maybe because it was his idea for me to quilt. We are coming off 14 months of taking care of him and then his death. Life is off kilter right now. It will take time.
@Stitchnripper I'm so sorry for your loss. Give yourself time to grieve - each person processes such devastating events in different ways and at different speeds. Maybe there will come a time when you want to quilt in his memory or maybe you will gravitate towards a different hobby. The right choices will present themselves at the right time...
Old 12-22-2020, 06:20 PM

Alyce, I am so very sorry. Please know my prayers are yours.
Old 12-23-2020, 01:10 PM

I can completely relate to feeling 'stuck'. It's something I've felt in my life, and have the same frustrations with. I do believe other posters on here have some good thoughts and suggestions. (Iceblossom -you're awesome and always enjoy your thoughtful posts!) I too, deal with depression and times when I really don't know how to find the joy. I think I've finally reached the spot where 'same as usual' is just not going to work any more. For the new year, I am going to look into talking with someone about those 'stuck' feelings, see what I can work out. I do believe it's never too late to find some joy. Wishing you well in your journey, wherever it takes you creatively!
Old 12-23-2020, 03:03 PM

When it comes to any needlework if find it 'fun' and productive. I have always enjoyed needle work be it quilting, dress making, applique, plastic canvas knitting, crocheting or cross stitch or any other needle work for that matter. I don't believe I have ever thought about it
Old 12-25-2020, 07:02 AM

I feel like I would like to do something else, but I cross those off my list and go back to what I've been doing, but somehow that doesn't make me any more productive, lol.
Do you ever go through this over-analysis of why you do what you do? How do you get away from it? Or figure out what you really enjoy?
On a different note, do you feel like you have to be "productive"?
I sort of went through that last year (2019) and it sucked the life right out of my enjoyment of quilting. In fact, not being productive was my New Years' Resolution for 2020.
In 2019 it felt like all I did was projects that I had to do....meeting deadlines and things that other people wanted. I was not enjoying it as it sucked all the creative time out of my quilting. It took me quite awhile to figure out why I was avoiding my quilting room. Once I did I finished up the "have to's" and put an end to them.
In 2020 I only did what I wanted to (Which included some quilts for others), and that made me much happier, more relaxed and creative in my sewing room. I stopped feeling like I needed to be "productive" and started feeling more like an artist and like this was for fun.
So... that's my answer to your very interesting question.
Watson
Old 12-27-2020, 09:28 AM

Such a thought provoking thread. It’s been great to read the feedback of others, a lot of which resonates with me. Thanks to the original poster and the resulting participants for sharing their personal experiences.