Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek >

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Old 12-27-2020, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
No....you are only using a few strips since the orange is the very center of 9P. Not sure about future clues, tho. I worried about running out of red but scrounged around and found more. Hopefully, you’ll have enough to finish the mystery.
My theory is that, after Clue 5, we are done with both red and orange. This is based on the yardage for each fabric Bonnie suggested (not including the extra grey for string piecing) and the finished size of the units we have prepared so far. I recognize that the finished size fails to account for the "waste" of seam allowances, which is more significant for smaller units than larger. But the suggested fabric amounts are probably rounded up, so this may compensate for that "waste".

My calculations are attached. The first percentage column is color fabric as a percentage of all fabric suggested. The second percentage column is for the finished size of each color used so far divided by the total finished quilt size. So for red and orange (and yellow, which Bonnie has acknowledged is done), we are close to or over the percentage of finished blocks expected based on the amount of yardage in that color needed. So I see a lot of grey, and some green and light (neutral) in the future clues.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Grassy Fabric thru Week 5.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	630600  
Old 12-27-2020, 10:29 AM

Thank you, SuzSLO!

Queenbarbiej, I love your idea of keeping the fabrics consistent within the 9-patches.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:07 AM

Yay, I am actually all caught up with the clues! However, I am only making half the required blocks for now. I keep looking at my box of pieces and wondering how they will all fit together and become a quilt! Bonnie is a master at this, for sure!

I am amazed that some of you are doing two mysteries at the same time!

Hubby is working on a table that will recess my machine...I have 2 large quilts waiting yo be quilted, but I will wait until my machine is sitting at table height. Fingers crossed! 😁
Old 12-27-2020, 11:56 AM

Finished clue 5 today except for the red rectangles, which I’m hoping I can find an AccuQuilt die for. I still don’t enjoy flying geese, but the method I used for these seemed to come out slightly better/easier than previous attempts with only a small number off by a millimeter or two in size. I’ve never made 9-patches previously and there was a rather critical piece missing from the instructions, so they took a while to figure out but came ok once I got going. I didn't find it to be a particularly easier week than others (except last week was harder than all the others), but that's probably due to my inexperience with these particular units.

Name:	875246D1-25BC-42BE-9D79-604D7C1878A8.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	630604  

Last edited by leheath8; 12-27-2020 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-27-2020, 12:01 PM

My half-witted attempt at Week 5 sewn clues, with my "green" going red (parakeet becomes a cardinal), "orange" going green (orange leaf longs for green) and "grey' going blue (grey skies make me blue). Once I cut the units, about 2/3 of the quilt top will be in process. If there's a quilt that makes sense in what we have made so far, I sure don't see it!

Name:	Week 5 9-Patch.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	699.7 KB
ID:	630605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Week 5 Geese.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	754.5 KB
ID:	630606  
Old 12-27-2020, 12:03 PM

Leheath: Your units look great. Nice colors! And making 9-patch units is a great skill to have mastered.
Old 12-27-2020, 03:09 PM

leheath8, those are so bright and pretty! (I can see a nice-looking block in the pieces we've done, which leads me to think we might be close to a reveal; it would not surprise me at all to be completely off-base, LOL).

SuzSLO, your red, green and blue fabrics are wonderful!

I am plodding ever so slowly through clue 4 (I have to keep stopping to rest my back, which was done in by the Christmas tree lights).

Old 12-27-2020, 03:34 PM

Beautiful units, ladies! Love the color variations.

I kind of played with the units so we’ll see if what I came up with looks anything like hers. Lol.. I’m likely way off base cuz she appears to like pieced borders, too..so who knows?

Hope your back gets better, joesmom... cutting fabric does that for me...If I have a lot, I’ll bring to the kitchen island to cut.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:18 PM

Piecing done for step 5. Tomorrow will be the "just cutting" day - maybe. I'm thinking this really might work out well for my beach house quilt for me. Really do have to wait to see, but there's no way the colors I've worked in will be not OK even for background blocks for other stuff I've been working on this year. I guess we shall see. But I am happy with them so far!

Name:	Step 5 part 1 web ready.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	630612   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step 5 part 2 web ready.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	630613  
Old 12-29-2020, 10:30 AM

auntjo, I am loving your subdued colors. I can't wait to see your quilt, I think it will be beautiful.

I finally got some good sewing time in yesterday. I now have all of the right side gray/neutral wing units sewn to my clue 3's, and the left ones are pinned and ready to sew. I hope to whip through them, then I have to finish pressing clue 2 before I go on to the fun of clue 5.