Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hooks for hanging rulers >

Hooks for hanging rulers

Hooks for hanging rulers

Old 12-19-2020, 10:06 AM

I took a couple of 11/2" finishing nails and hammered them into the side of the outer cabinet. I am able to hang 3 comfortably on each nail. Doesn't look pretty but does the trick. There is also enough room to hang all my stencils too.
Old 12-24-2020, 02:52 AM

I know some folks have beautiful sewing rooms, I don't and will never have that because my sewing room is a workroom and it looks like it. I'm a messy sewer. I cut and just swoosh the fabric slivers to the side. If they fall on the floor, I'm ok with that. For those that only land on the side, the cats make sure they get to the floor. I have too many machines and totes of fabric for the room to ever look beautiful even when I vacuum up the fabric scraps. That being said, I don't care how the room looks, if someone doesn't like it, don't come in - actually I would prefer that no one does come in as it is "my space". Therefore, I just hammer in long, strong finishing nails into the wall behind my cutting table. Hammer them in at an angle and nothing falls off. Can hold 5 or 6 rulers on each nail.
Old 12-24-2020, 06:04 AM

I use cup hooks on the sides of a small wall cabinet. The cup hooks screw into the wood and are very secure, but I needed to use pliers to straighten the curve out a bit.
Old 12-24-2020, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by MicheleC View Post
I use a peg board to hang mine. If you’re worried about aesthetics, you could paint it a desired color and just hang a narrow strip of the pegboard. Another option might be to use a coat rack that has the right size hooks.
I use pegboard too. It holds all my rules plus some other things and keeps them out of the way. I have a set of shelves from Target below them to hold my patterns and misc stuff.
Old 12-26-2020, 01:01 AM

I just use the clear push pins. Holds my 6 x 24, 3 x 18 and 6 x 12 rulers without a fuss and I think it could hold one more but not going to push it.

The command hooks right now are holding all my acrylic templates, but I'm looking at replacing them, too, I've had the same problem of them just popping off the wall unexpectedly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Thumb tacks.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	630581  
Old 12-28-2020, 07:46 PM

I have a 4' * 8' pegboard on my wall and keep most of my rulers on it. A few others are in a ruler bag (I made) and a few others are in project boxes with WIP's.

You may want to try the pegboard, you'd be surprised how many misc. items they hold.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
I put two pieces of door stop horizontally about 30" apart.
Then put some nails in each one...spaced to fit my rulers.
I can store lots of rulers that way.
What is doorstop? I googled it and got tons of different things !
Old 12-29-2020, 07:07 PM

I have 2 homemade wooden racks that my husband (not a serious woodworker) made out of scrap wood. I would find space for them even if it were under the ironing board and I was banging my toes on them.

Because I have had to replace some rulers that were annoyingly scratched, I would be leery of hanging them against each other on a nail. Not sure why I am scratching them - it may be sliding them over pins - but it's irritating to spend money that way instead of on fabric.

The pegboard idea could allow for hanging individually, I would think.

hugs,
charlotte
Old 01-01-2021, 07:12 AM

I have 2 metal shelving units on wheels and use pants hangers with clips as well as hooks to hold my rulers off the backs and sides of the shelving units.

They have narrow pegboards out there that might be helpful to you.
Old 01-01-2021, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
What is doorstop? I googled it and got tons of different things !
It looks like this.

I believe mine is 3/8" x 1 1/4".

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	primed-white-alexandria-moulding-casing-l887a-93084c-64_400_compressed.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	630728