Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Classic Vintage Cookbook Suggestions? >

Classic Vintage Cookbook Suggestions?

Classic Vintage Cookbook Suggestions?

Old 12-27-2020, 07:39 AM

I just wanted to tell you all that my daughter loved the cookbooks. She even started to cry when she opened up the Martha Stewart, Entertaining, book. She also loved one of the cookbooks that was recommended here. I can't recall the title, but it was one from the 1930s. Thanks everyone for your help!
Old 12-27-2020, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

Any cook books by this amazing lady. https://barefootcontessa.com/
Old 12-30-2020, 06:36 AM

Shop thrift stores for cookbooks. You should find many in those stores, including Church cookbooks.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:08 AM

For a few years aI collected older cookbooks. The oldest one that has some great recopies is the Fanny Farmer Cookbook 1908 I used it until I began getting concerned about the paper pages.. Some of my more modern yet 50+ years old my favorite being Culinary Arts Institute Encyclopedic Cookbook This one is the best. Months and months of the best recopies available anywhere.
Old 12-30-2020, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

I am surprised that the book called, " The American Woman Cook Book", by edited by Beth Berolzheimer isn't mentioned here. It was on the best seller list for many years in the 40's. Republished many times because of sell outs. Anything dish or item I have tried from this book comes out perfectly. Really a great book with surprising diverse recipes.
I originally got mine from my hubby's grandmother when she passed. It had no cover and I had no idea what the name of it was. I went to an estate sale years later and found a copy my mom bought and passed on to my younger sister from my high recommendation of it. When hubby came down with Diabetes, I passed it on to my sister in law because it was her grandmother's. Mostly because I felt it should stay in that family. But, I really missed it and found one on amazon to replace mine.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 12-30-2020 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-30-2020, 11:14 AM

When they come back, flea markets are an excellent source. Garage/yard sales, too. My husband had a collection that was passed down to his chef son and that's where many of them came from and that they both treasure(d).
Old 12-30-2020, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by SallyS View Post
When they come back, flea markets are an excellent source. Garage/yard sales, too. My husband had a collection that was passed down to his chef son and that's where many of them came from and that they both treasure(d).
Oh gosh...I sure do miss garage sales and flea markets. I'm chomping at the bit to get back out there.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

This is too late for Christmas but a really cool vintage cookbook that almost every household had or received as a shower gift. is

The Modern Encyclopedia of Cooking by Meta Givens, 1947

It is a two-volume set and the cover is a medium tone green. Some people on QB probably still use these volumes. I don't think they are very collectable but they are really interesting reading and include how to plan a meal, planning a budget, keeping a pantry and many vintage kitchen skills. My very favourite cookbook.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Which modern day cookbooks, (that are currently being published, at least within the last 10-15 years,) do you think should be collectable? One comes immediately to my mind: Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook by Isa Chandra Moskowitz, Terry Hope Romero. They were greatly responsible for the huge, vegan movement and the cookbook is excellent.
Yes! A good vegan selection!
Old 12-31-2020, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
I am surprised that the book called, " The American Woman Cook Book", by edited by Beth Berolzheimer isn't mentioned here. It was on the best seller list for many years in the 40's. Republished many times because of sell outs. Anything dish or item I have tried from this book comes out perfectly. Really a great book with surprising diverse recipes.
I originally got mine from my hubby's grandmother when she passed. It had no cover and I had no idea what the name of it was. I went to an estate sale years later and found a copy my mom bought and passed on to my younger sister from my high recommendation of it. When hubby came down with Diabetes, I passed it on to my sister in law because it was her grandmother's. Mostly because I felt it should stay in that family. But, I really missed it and found one on amazon to replace mine.
Does this book have a blue cover? I think we had that one as a kid.