UFO Challenge for 2021

Old 01-01-2021, 04:33 PM
Power Poster

I’m definitely in again this year. I have 5 quilt tops right now just need quilting and binding, 3 that need binding, a crown royal quilt my son has been waiting over 4 years for, I have some bags cut apart—
I have some blocks from different swaps and BOMs that really should be put to use instead of being boxed— I think I have enough to keep me going for a while.
Old 01-01-2021, 07:16 PM

I went back to the 2020 thread & counted Zozee's & Krisb's totals for the 1st 9 or 10 months. Then I counted for Nov & Dec for our grand total of completed UFOs for 2020. If Petthefabric managed to finish her 2nd on the 31st, we finished 200 (!) UFOs in the year from Hades! It's amazing! Plus people made zillions of masks, many aprons, cushion covers, pillows, & even a yoga bag. So whew! Are we all exhausted yet? I wonder how productive we'll be in 2021?
Old 01-01-2021, 07:30 PM

I have several quilt tops started but not finished. Most of them are BOM quilts that just need intervening blocks. During the summer of 2020 I was bored out of my gourd; so I just started making strip blocks. Now I have enough for 2 quilt tops. All of these UFO's are taking up valuable space in my quilting room. Perhaps this needs to be the first goal of 2021--get my UFO's done or given away. I have never done a UFO challenge before; so some of you may have to explain some things to me, but count me in.
Old 01-01-2021, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by 1Nanoo View Post
I have several quilt tops started but not finished. Most of them are BOM quilts that just need intervening blocks. During the summer of 2020 I was bored out of my gourd; so I just started making strip blocks. Now I have enough for 2 quilt tops. All of these UFO's are taking up valuable space in my quilting room. Perhaps this needs to be the first goal of 2021--get my UFO's done or given away. I have never done a UFO challenge before; so some of you may have to explain some things to me, but count me in.
No real rules, you decide what is or isn't a UFO, report here when you finish 1 & we all cheer for you! You are right that UFOs take up space, so try to complete some & put them to use. You'll feel so good to clear space & make a useful quilt that can be admired. Welcome to the thread.
Old 01-01-2021, 07:59 PM

I’ll bounce in and cheer you’all on, as usual. I know you know this but I don’t have any UFO’s and my goal is to keep it that way...however, today’s Merry Mayhem mystery quilt is so ugly it may require heavy sedation for me to finish it tomorrow. If not, tomorrow, I’m taking the rotary cutter to it, sew it all back together, then donate it. I’ve always wanted to do this with my ugly’s...
Old 01-02-2021, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
I’ll bounce in and cheer you’all on, as usual. I know you know this but I don’t have any UFO’s and my goal is to keep it that way...however, today’s Merry Mayhem mystery quilt is so ugly it may require heavy sedation for me to finish it tomorrow. If not, tomorrow, I’m taking the rotary cutter to it, sew it all back together, then donate it. I’ve always wanted to do this with my ugly’s...

I do that with my uglies. If you have a couple of uglies you can mix and match the cut apart bits and come up with some interesting art pieces- my favorite wall hanging came about that way.

Thanks for getting us started again, Conchalea. I think I’ve got 20 or 21 UFOs. That’s down from last year’s starting number of 33. Off the top of my head here is a list of the ones I want to try and complete this year. In no particular order:
1. 2017 temperature quilt (or was it from 2016??? I’ll have to look at my notes)- this one got stalled because I couldn’t decide how to do the key.
2. On Ringo Lake (BH 2017). This one got stalled because I found it incredibly boring to piece. I think I made all the individual pieces, but may still have sashing to do. Then again, I really don’t like it, so might decide to turn it into something else.
3. Jacob’s ladder- cut out at least 5 years ago. Not pieced, cause I would rather quilt than piece.
4. A Panel that consists of 6 or 8 smaller pics of chickens that needs to be cut apart and turned into something. every year I take it out of the UFO pile to work on and then put it back without doing anything with it. I think this has been going on for 7 or 8 years... the pics are too small to turn into placemats which is what I did with the other two chicken panels (those were UFO finishes from last year).
5. A doodle quilt that needs more painting. I did the fun part (FMQ on a piece of white fabric) and got bogged down in the painting part. Also need to decide what to do in the center- I stitched out the outlines of storm at sea for that part but haven’t decided whether to thread paint it or paint paint it.
6. An art quilt that is huge and ugly- to be cut up
7. another art quilt that is huge and ugly- maybe could cut apart and combine with 6.
8. Finch at the Feeder- a collaborative with DH. DH’s photo printed on fabric which I started thread painting last year but stopped because I didn’t like how it was going. Needs to be picked apart and restarted.
9. Magnolia blossom- another collaborative with DH using his photo that has been printed on fabric. This one has been stalled for several years because I can’t decide what I want to do with it. It’s gorgeous as is and I’m tempted to just lightly thread sketch and then quilt it.
10.Helen Godden’s 2017 BOM- each block is painted and quilted. Just need to put together using sashing quilt as you go technique.

Much as I would like to commit to a finish each month, I suspect that some of the ones listed above will take more than a month to complete so I think I’ll set my 2021 goal at 10 completed UFOs. I also have a WIP that I am currently working on that I want to finish and there are several new projects that I want to start and finish this year.

My ultimate goal is to get to where I have fewer than 10 UFOs in any given year.

Rob
Old 01-02-2021, 07:09 AM

Nice goals, Rob. Your art quilts are always beautiful and intriguing.
Looking back at my list from 2020, I was reminded of 2 sets of completed blocks made by K's daughter. Some may be made into table covers by K, while a large set of blue blocks I've taken over. My chosen project to make with those is a quilted jacket. I found a too-large pattern for a jacket at a thrift store. Other projects took precedence for both of us, so those 2 are also rolling into 2021. My RWB & Ripple tops may be more WIPs than UFOs since I'm working on them consistently. However, the RW&B has been ongoing since before I packed my house in March, so I do consider it a UFO.
I only began the Ripple quilt the 28th or 29th of Dec. I've made 4 or more blocks per day since then so it is a WIP. As a result of reclassifying, K & I have 9 or 10 UFOs to be finished in 2021.
Due to my quarantine after a family visit K & I have to wait until tomorrow to quilt together. She's itching to get started!
Old 01-02-2021, 08:46 AM

I would like to tag along again this year, even though I am not a prolific finisher of quilts; I am concentrating on cutting quilts at the moment. However, I have two quilts basted (the Bakeshop quilt and the Shot Cottons quilt) as well as one that just needs some border work (the En Provence, of which I am terrified) before being basted and quilted. If I could get those three quilted this year, I would be very happy!
Old 01-02-2021, 10:25 AM

I'd like to join in this year, for some motivation. I'm bogged down a bit on a quilt that I'm not particularly enjoying making (but am obliged to finish for someone else.) So I've been allowing myself to get distracted sewing together some of my little scraps for no real reason... And I have quite a few tops that I need to sandwich, quilt and bind.

So here's my list:
1. Keep plugging away on the current WIP (sigh)
2. Sandwich, quilt, and bind Plaidish quilt
3. Sandwich, quilt, and bind Bird wall hanging for my son
4. Sandwich, quilt, and bind Farm Girl Vintage quilt (although it's quite possible that I might actually send this one out for quilting)
5. Add outer border to HST quilt, then sandwich, quilt and bind
6 Hen Party - sew down the appliques, do something with all the blocks - pillows, wall hangings? Yet to be decided!
7. Finish my Fall Riot QAYG quilt
8. Begin the wall hanging quilt I promised my poor, patient daughter!

I'd really like to see these quilts completed and in use around the house, so that's also a motivation to get going.
Old 01-02-2021, 12:53 PM

Finished the one. So 199 total. This year I hope to clear them out (the counted UFO's) and it's doable but won't be disappointed.