Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
chicken pot pie >

chicken pot pie

chicken pot pie

Old 01-05-2021, 05:13 PM

Default chicken pot pie

please share your recipe if you have one for chicken pot pie
Old 01-06-2021, 01:48 AM

I have been using this one from Allrecipes for many years. My only changes are: I use store bought rotisserie chicken about 3 cups chopped, changed the milk to half and half, and use 2 cups broth. Sometimes top with drop biscuits instead of using pie crusts. It is a pretty forgiving recipe and if you are not exact in your measurements, it is still really good.
It is very easy and very good. If you have a large skillet that can go into the oven and want to use biscuits, just cook and mix in skillet, top with biscuits, pop into oven, bake and serve. One pan to clean!!
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/26...d=cardslot%202
Old 01-06-2021, 03:30 AM

I have This one in my Recipe Gallery app ...

https://www.southernliving.com/recip...shrooms-recipe
Old 01-06-2021, 04:14 AM
Power Poster

The one from Bisquick is our favorite. Simple and tasty.
Old 01-06-2021, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy224 View Post
I have been using this one from Allrecipes for many years. My only changes are: I use store bought rotisserie chicken about 3 cups chopped, changed the milk to half and half, and use 2 cups broth. Sometimes top with drop biscuits instead of using pie crusts. It is a pretty forgiving recipe and if you are not exact in your measurements, it is still really good.
It is very easy and very good. If you have a large skillet that can go into the oven and want to use biscuits, just cook and mix in skillet, top with biscuits, pop into oven, bake and serve. One pan to clean!!
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/26...d=cardslot%202
If using canned biscuits, how long do you bake this? Same as the pie recipe?? Sounds yummy--good comfort food!
Old 01-06-2021, 11:07 AM

thank you for taking the time I am going to try them
Old 01-06-2021, 02:09 PM

Instead of broth or milk, I use a can of cream of chicken soup and add some shredded cheese. Chopped cooked chicken, optional sauteed onions,celery and garlic, some thawed and drained mixed veggies, stir in the cream of chicken soup and cheese. Put in casserole and bake until heated thru. Then top with biscuits--tinned or home made, increase oven heat as per biscuit recipe, and bake. Mine always seems to go over, so put a cookie sheet under the casserole.
Old 01-07-2021, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
If using canned biscuits, how long do you bake this? Same as the pie recipe?? Sounds yummy--good comfort food!
If using canned biscuits I would bake about the same amount of time as indicated. I don't know how long they take to cook but since the filling is already done and hot when going into the oven, basically all the oven time does is cook the crust or biscuit topping. So generally 30 to 40 minutes is enough.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:07 AM

To most of us in PA this is chicken meat pie, not chicken pot pie. Pot pie is dropped cut up dough cooked in broth. Boned meat, potatoes, carrots or peas can be added. Cracker Barrel restaurants call it chicken dumplings. You can use beef or ham broth to make it as well. There are many recipes on line & the vary greatly. I cook 4 bone in pieces of chicken (I prefer thighs & legs) until it falls off the bone. Remove & let cool. I use flour, Crisco, baking powder & water to make the dough. Some like to add an egg to make the dough more stiff. I prefer the gooey kind, so I don't add egg. Roll it out to about 1/8 inch thick & then cut in squares. Let is set to cure while you one the chicken. Bring broth to boil & drop in pieces of dough, stirring as you go. When you have all the dough in add the meat. Cook 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat.

I don't really have an exact recipe, as I just toss it together.
Old 01-07-2021, 05:46 AM

Creamed Chicken over Biscuits (my lazy method)
2 cups chicken gravy (prepared as directed on envelope)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 or more cups frozen mixed vegetables (cook at least partially in microwave)
Cooked cubed chicken about 2 cups
Mix all. When hot serve over fresh baked biscuits (1 tube).