Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Uneasy feeling about quilts donated to Ronald McDonald House >

Uneasy feeling about quilts donated to Ronald McDonald House

Uneasy feeling about quilts donated to Ronald McDonald House

Old 03-03-2010, 04:54 PM

I highly encourage you to go to the Ronnie McD house and speak with the director. Personally every month I donate disposable plates to the Ronnie McD house in my city. I stayed at a Ronnie house in Austin last year when my nephew was in their children's hospital. It's my little way of giving back because I know they need those plates to serve meals to their daily guests.

The other reason I highly encourage you to contact them is that I work in Alzheimer's research. Our organization collects lap-size quilts to give our Alzheimer's patients. I am beholden to the many gracious women who make quilts for us. They trust me that I'm going to give their beautiful quilts to the patients, which we do. If one of my many quilters had a question (like the situation you encountered) I would respond immediately and keep responding until the quilter was satisfied. That is the customer service part of my job and a responsibility I take very seriously. I find it pretty unconscionable that the Ronnie McD house director would ignore you.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:59 PM

If it were me, I would contact the national HQ so as to make them aware of this issue and to make sure this does not happen again.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:20 PM

I would sit at their front door and wait for the people and get an answer. The children and parents that stay at a Ronald McDonald house are the ones that really need quilts. Parents don't think about bedding when their child in so sick. Our great-grand son and his mom stayed in one in Houston and received very good care. We are just so Thankful now that Coty is well. glenda in Tx.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:38 PM

It may very well have been an error in verbage, however if it were a simple mistake then the people at RMH could have cleared that up quickly and easily with the first e-mail. By avoiding her they are making themselves (these two individuals) look guilty. I seriously doubt there is a huge RMH nation wide conspiricy to dupe donators. Lets not blow things out of proportion until she gets some answers either from RMH corp. or these two individuals. This is like a soap opera. I can't wait to see what happens tomorrow.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:25 PM

Sorry you've had such an experience for a gift from your heart. I agree with the other posts to contact headquarters.

On a separate note, I'm a Project Linus Blanketeer and know our blankets go to seriously ill and traumatized children in the community. I, personally, drop off blankets to some of our local hospitals for the pediatric departments. We have a great time every month and meet at a local sewing shop so we get to use the latest sewing machines to make these special blankets.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by mrspete
Well, investigating it would clarify the facts for reference purposes. When it is exhausted to your extent, then remember. When we give from a pure heart, the GOOD LORD leads it. HE may have reasons to test someone else but, in giving, we relinquish rights. So, just remember, you gave it. Satisfaction is in knowing, it is out of your control and in control of the higher. That's how I settle misunderstandings. But, they should clarify this on their sites. Lots of wonderful givers on this board. I love you all. Hugz Ruth
YES!! I quilt with 10 ladies and our lil quilts go to our local hospital. I take the quilts directly to the nursery. God bless the babies wraped in them blankets. We feel good in our hearts. WE need to fight for these children.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:21 AM

i would get to the bottom of it because RMH is a great organization and has helped alot of people i would hate to know that one or two people would tarnish them sometimes you get people that take an advantage of things but i would go to the top i wouldnt think they would think this is acceptable
Old 03-04-2010, 02:37 AM
Administrator

here's what bothers me most about this situation:

all the outrage i'm reading BEFORE we have all the facts.

howzabout we put away the pitchforks and torches and wait for the rest of the story. :hunf:
Old 03-04-2010, 04:37 AM

Amen PatriceJ!
Old 03-04-2010, 06:45 AM

Thank you for everyone's input, support and all the food for thought.

I must clarify that the use of my e-mail address by the mystery woman is not an issue. It is an e-mail address I print on all my labels attached to the backs of my quilts for the general public. So there was no wrongdoing there.

Right now, the RMH chapter is clearly guilty of silence and nonresponsiveness. Whether they are guilty of misrepresentation remains to be seen, and that's the purpose of seeking from this board the best way to extract those answers.

Quilters are generous and passionate people as evidenced by the responses on this thread, but I'm proceeding with deliberation and diplomacy, still giving the local chapter the benefit of the doubt until suspicions are proven.

I will keep you posted as this resolves, so please be patient.