Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Four patch posie help >

Four patch posie help

Four patch posie help

Old 01-17-2021, 11:18 AM

Default Four patch posie help

I have bought fabric (twice) to make a four patch posy. One has flowers & 6.5 inch repeats. The other is colorful feathers 4.5 inch repeat.Can I even use these. Just totally forgot about repeats. My instructions recommends at least 12 inch repeats. sigh.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:52 AM

You can still use fabric with a smaller repeat. Using fabric with a smaller repeat means that you will get less variation in the blocks you produce, but it can still be quite pretty. And you can increase your variety by how you orient you squares before you sew them into blocks - suppose you get two squares that both have mainly color/shape A in one corner and color/shape B in the opposite corner. In one block, you can have the color/shape A near the center, and in the other block, you can have color/shape B near the center, and you will end up with two very different looking blocks, even when starting with very similar squares to build the block.

For seeing how fabrics will look in a one-block-wonder (which is made of triangles, not squares), this design tool is a great way to see how fabrics look. I suggest playing around with an image of your fabric with the tool and see what you think. (Triangles will be different than squares, but it will still give you a sense of how much variety your fabric will give you, and you can see how changing the orientation can give more variety.)
Old 01-17-2021, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

True4UCA ... With the smaller repeat, you might want to consider how large your squares are. Smaller, will give you more variations in the blocks. Another way to get different poseys ... as the repeat happens, shift your cutting line a little, so that you are now a 1/2" or 3/4" or so further down/across on the fabric's repeat. This is a pattern that can be very addictive ... have fun!!

Originally Posted by platyhiker View Post
......For seeing how fabrics will look in a one-block-wonder (which is made of triangles, not squares), this design tool is a great way to see how fabrics look...........
Another way to do this, and to actually get the 4 square look, is to use two mirrors, standing on the quilt, at right angles. Or for a OBW, fan the mirrors apart, til you see the six triangles. Likewise for the SAW, the 8-tri kaleido.

What works really well for the mirrors are "locker mirrors". Found those at the $ $tore, then taped them together with clear packing tape. Another place to find them is Staples, but will cost you a lot more!
Old 01-17-2021, 12:44 PM

Is shopping for fabric with a larger repeat an option? It might be best to stick with the recommendations for your first 4 patch posie, and then you will be familiar with the pattern and better able to make adjustments.

My first 4pp didn't have enough contrast, and I made a similar mistake with the second. These are fun to look at on google images. You can learn a lot about the effects of different sashing options, etc.
Old 01-17-2021, 12:49 PM

Thank you both so much. I had bought 3yds. of one and 2 of the other, at least I will be able to use them for their intended purpose. I have no particular size in mind, probably charity quilts. Just wanting to try this pattern. Just need to finish 2 UFOs.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

Go for it True4UCA!!!
If you want a sense of what you will have without cutting too much into the fabric, just do one strip along the selvage, matching up your four layers and cutting your squares.

Here's the story of my first 4PP with bits and pieces of additional info as you read along.

My Maiden 4-Patch Posey !!!! - Quiltingboard Forums
Old 01-17-2021, 03:34 PM

https://www.connectingthreads.com/tu...ers.%20More%20
and
https://www.pinterest.com/crumbdc/fo...-instructions/
Old 01-17-2021, 04:29 PM

Oh, QuiltE I just saw your post. Beautiful posies!! love the main fabric you started with. Quilts like this are so great, aren't they?
Old 01-17-2021, 04:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quiltwoman44 View Post
Oh, QuiltE I just saw your post. Beautiful posies!! love the main fabric you started with. Quilts like this are so great, aren't they?
Yes indeed!!
The process is so addictive with each Posey a new surprise.
Put them together and you have an amazing quilt.
Thank you for your kind words, QuiltWoman44!!