Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
T-shirt backing >

T-shirt backing

T-shirt backing

Old 01-17-2021, 11:30 AM

Default T-shirt backing

I am wondering what, if any, batting I should put into a t-shirt quilt. I have seen some pictures of t-shirt quilts with minky or fleece backing and I wonder if a batting would be used then.

Thanks for any help/advice.
Old 01-17-2021, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

I work in an LQS that has a quilting business. I don't quilt for the shop but am a beginning LA quilter on my own. Whether you use fleece/minky flannel or cotton one needs the batting for the stitches to sink into. I have quilted charity quilts with just fleece on the back and it is not enough for quality stitching. FYI an 80/20 batting is used on Tshirt quilts at the shop.

I will be making my first tshirt quilt for Gson this spring and have flannel for the back and will use 80/20 batting in the center.
Old 01-17-2021, 12:16 PM

I always use batting in my tshirt quilts. I have used minky and quilting cotton for the backs... the batting really makes the quilts snuggly
Old 01-17-2021, 06:26 PM

totally agree with OKSewglad.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:47 AM

I agree, some type of batting is necessary to give that snuggly feel and I've used 80/20 with a nice result. I have only made one t-shirt quilt so I am not an expert but I found the weight of the t-shirt quilt top itself to be measurably heavier. I considered minky backing when making it but then thought it might weigh the entire quilt down a bit too much for the desired use of my quilt. Hopefully, someone with more experience will chime in here. Just wanted to point out that these quilts can become a bit heavy.

Good luck and look forward to seeing yours!
Old 01-18-2021, 05:49 AM

The bag full of minky fabric for the backside was so heavy, I thought batting would add more weight to the quilt, so I didn't use any batting. It worked out great, and I SID quilted. It was extremely cuddly. That is the only quilt I've made w/o batting.