Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
T-shirt quilt >

T-shirt quilt

T-shirt quilt

Old 01-22-2021, 07:02 AM

Default T-shirt quilt

Need some input. I am in the process of making a T-shirt quilt for first Grandson this spring and would like to know what you folks used for a backing. I'm leaning towards a fleece fabric as it would be more soft and cozy. I don't think I would use any batting as the backing is heavier than just regular cotton. What have you done and prefer for backing?

Thank you.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:05 AM

I made one and I used fleece for the backing and I did not use any batting in it. I did use the iron on interfacing on the back of the t-shirt blocks so that they did not stretch and I quilted with my mid arm quilter. It turned out really great
Old 01-22-2021, 10:22 AM

I have only made one TShirt quilt and I used a flannel that I prewashed before I did anything else with it. I did not put a bat in in as I thought is was heavy enough. There was no complaint from the person that received it. I made it for our choir director's son. I used a medium weight interfacing as the tshirts were of different weights.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:33 PM

I'll give another opinion. I've made about 30 and know more than I want to know about them! I use Pellon ShapeFlex for fusible--it's lightweight and my LQS sells it off a roll that is 50-52? wide so less waste. Be sure you check instructions on fusible stabilizer before you fuse to any shirts that have poly in them--usually a med. heat. But have used on shirts and those sports jerseys that have woven holes. I have always used a cotton wideback for backing as most have been going off to college or "own" apt. and seem to end up getting less laundry attention and often dumped when sheets washed. I use batting also. These are great memory quilts but I burnt out on them. LOL
Old 01-23-2021, 12:50 PM

I use a fusible on each tee shirt, batting and a cotton back. When I first started making them, owner of LQS recommended not using fleece or flannel since they don’t wear as well. If you’re going to all that trouble, you want the quilt to last a long time.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:17 PM

I used the lightest weight non-woven interfacing to stabilize the t-shirts, poly batting and flannelette backing. My first one for my daughter lasted 10 years till the crests were worn off the shirting. The flannel back is smooth as silk. It has been their go-to quilt if they wanted to get warm or were felling terrible. It was well-loved and still holding together. We're going to make a new front from her dad's t-shirts and add new backing and use the old quilt as batt.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:35 PM

I've made a few t shirt quilts using the method described here:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...qq40pR1ipPO6N-

I do not use any stabilizer and sew the t-shirts together just like when sewing cotton Woven fabric. They really go together easily and i quilt on my longarm. I took a class at the quilt show in Houston a few years back where it was declared you must use stabilizer. I did not like the stiffness of the t shirt squares. So I searched and found the mentioned website, got her book and made these tshirt quilts.

p.s.
I use batting and cotton wide backing
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20190501_082341_compress_96.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	738.3 KB
ID:	631257   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190601_082455_compress13.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	631258  

Last edited by Abashobbes; 01-25-2021 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 01-26-2021, 05:40 AM

My first t-shirt quilt for our youngest daughter was completed with a LOT of help from my friend Kathy. My machine was an old one from the home ec room. It skipped and I didn't even know it. She sent it to a longarmer who made adjustments and it came out quite good. So with a better machine I made one for our first granddaughter and have two started for other grand kids. It is fun to see the t-shirts they pick but I usually find a few extra sports shirts (they don't like to cut those up) at the Goodwill for a couple of dollars. I am not confident enough to do as Abashobbes and others so I make all the squares the same size and add sashing. Not sure I will ever make 30! But I will help friends get started on theirs.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:49 AM

I create a tutorial. Click link to see pic and steps with minky back.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:56 AM

aashley333- thank you for your awesome tutorial. I am using a fleece backing as my grands like the softness of them over regular fabric on the back.