Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Quilter and Frustrated >

New Quilter and Frustrated

New Quilter and Frustrated

Old 03-02-2010, 05:40 PM

Patterns with straight lines are easier than triangles.

Here are a few more easy patterns:

http://www.freequiltpatterns.info/Qu...ltPatterns.htm

I learned to quilt from the log cabin pattern.

Also thanks for the great links.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:02 PM

Okay, this is just my humble opinion so take it for what it's worth. It sounds to me like you haven't yet come across the pattern that 'touches your soul' - the pattern that you lay awake at night thinking about colors and fabrics for - the pattern that you want to make no matter what it takes. I have found, personally, that if I don't absolutely feel in love with the pattern before I start, I lose interest and have to force myself to finish, and it begins to feel like a punishment. Instead of looking at patterns in terms of how to put them together, try looking at patterns as to how they make you feel. Again, just my humble opinion.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by renee765
Okay, this is just my humble opinion so take it for what it's worth. It sounds to me like you haven't yet come across the pattern that 'touches your soul' - the pattern that you lay awake at night thinking about colors and fabrics for - the pattern that you want to make no matter what it takes. I have found, personally, that if I don't absolutely feel in love with the pattern before I start, I lose interest and have to force myself to finish, and it begins to feel like a punishment. Instead of looking at patterns in terms of how to put them together, try looking at patterns as to how they make you feel. Again, just my humble opinion.
I couldn't agree with you more! There's nothing more important than that "I've just got to make THIS quilt" feeling...and you will learn from doing whatever it takes and because you are pre-attached to it, you will do your absolute best to finish it beautifully.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
I started sewing when I was about 12. I have made suits in Home Ec class (quite a few yrs ago - many many yrs), I went to college, got married, except for repairs have not sewn until about 1 yr ago when I took up quilting.

I have made 5 quilts -quilted w/SID - 2 from the same pattern I learned in the quilting class at Joann Fabric- have 3 UFO's and in the process of making the Red Herring quilt - PP - which could become my 4th UFO.

I love looking through quilting patterns on line, love reading quilting books, have a stash of fabric that could make probably 50 quilts (or more).

So my question is In order not to keep adding to my UFO stash, what type of quilt pattern should I be using to make my quilts.... is this pattern to difficult

http://www.eeschenck.com/i/0/pattern...Medallions.pdf

or would this one be better

http://www.eeschenck.com/i/0/pattern...ater_Quilt.pdf

or

http://www.eeschenck.com/i/qc_both/p..._Studio_02.pdf

or

http://www.eeschenck.com/i/qc_both/p...Sixteen_18.pdf - strip and fussy cut

OR
http://www.eeschenck.com/i/qc_both/p...Sixteen_20.pdf - PP

http://www.eeschenck.com/i/qc_both/p...Sixteen_21.pdf

Or can you suggest any other pattern that would be good to use - and help my self confidence
Hi. I take it that you are looking for a pattern to just use up your scraps? Is that right? You could make a Jacob's Ladder pattern out of several colors like I did. Here's a picture. I also have more pictures posted in the Pictures section, under "My Latest Projects" and "My Latest Projects--Continued". Hope this helps.

GS Dylon's Throw---60 x 85
[ATTACH=CONFIG]27967[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-27967.jpe
Views:	23
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	27967  
Old 03-04-2010, 04:37 AM

Of the patterns you listed, I like the 1st one. I, like yourself, was making suits in high school while others were making the apron & gathered skirt. I got away from quilting during my teaching career. My sister got me into quilting when I retired in 1996. I even taught quilting for awhile. If you follow directions - one step at a time & have perfected your 1/4" seam, you will have no trouble making any of these quilts. dj
Old 03-04-2010, 05:15 AM

I would go with your second pattern or the one called Sixteen candles? The smaller the piecing and the more different sizes or shapes the more likely it is to have problems. With small pieces very small under or overcuts quickly multiply into big mistakes. Let a special print or motif be the focus of something simple like a four or nine patch with alternate plain blocks. This is supposed to be fun and relaxing not nerve wracking.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:46 AM

First of all when I started quilting years ago I was told by a long time quilter that it's actually a good thing to have many quilts in various stages (except for the I hate it and won't touch it again stage). That way if you are bored sewing, go to cutting or quilting or planning etc. Besides we quilters know how easily it can be to get caught up in that new fabric & pattern so that we have to set aside the other one temporarily.
If it's the difficulty, The Disappearing 9Patch is great. Here's a link to another easy, but versatile block.
Good luck & happy quilting.

http://blocksnswaps.blogspot.com/sea...lock%20Pattern
Old 03-04-2010, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Oklahoma Suzie
Originally Posted by QuiltingTurtle
I guess it depends on what is making you set them aside. Or are they difficult patterns? Are do you get sick of it, in the middle of the project? Or something else?

That first link, likes it would be a very simple quilt to make. If the ones you are doing are too hard.

If it is because you lose interest. Maybe you can do smaller projects.

I would love to see pics of what you have done so far.
ditto
Another ditto here.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:58 PM

I agree with MNquilter on doing samplers. I've been quilting for the majority of 46 years and heavily for 35 years plus and my favorite honestly are samplers.

The first was completed in 2009. It's a simple block of the month my chapter did and each square represents a month in the year. Each of us of course had fun and did our own thing. This is a large throw and will eventually go to whichever of my grandchildren bonds with it when they visit us. Their name will go on the back and one day it will be theirs. You do the same basic pattern each month but dress each square up so you can try different things and learn while doing. I refer to it as learning as I tried a lot of new techniques on it.

The 2nd sampler is about 25 years old now and made using scraps of fabric I used to make clothing for my daughter during the two years she was teaching at the Hindman Settlement School in Hindman KY. I just picked out blocks that represented her and her life so each block has special meaning to her and it is her favorite quilt. I think this was my 2nd queen sized quilt. It is machine pieced, hand quilted and done as a quilt as you go because that's the only way I can manage quilting since I can't use a hoop or a frame.

The links you shared with us will make lovely quilts but I know I personally couldn't work with those patterns as I guess I have a short attention span and need to have variety. I'm also a scrap quilter which means I can buy border fabrics plus some extra's but use up my scraps in my quilts.

Whatever you do, the key is to enjoy the process and what you are doing. If you can't do the quilting yourself, see if you can find someone who will machine quilt them for you but you really do need to get some of your projects quilted. UFO's don't benefit anyone and so much love goes into quilts that it's a shame for that love to be stored away. I'm trying to learn how to machine quilt but so far, it's not my thing but I am improving. I've decided recently to speed things up a bit and ease things a bit by:
1. machine piece
2. quilt as you in panels: quilt a panel, add a panel, quilt it and I use the Marti Mitchell technique found at www.nancysnotions.com - search for Marti Mitchell - Machine quilting in sections book and it works well for both hand and machine quilters.
3. I do a queen quilt top in 2 or 3 panels (3 or 4 blocks across and 2 or 3 rows down depending on need.
4. border out as another panel.
5. Machine sew what I can on each panel but I will still do the detailed hand quilting as my passion is hand quilting plus so far free motion hasn't happened but then I've not worked at it. I need things to take with me and do in the evening in front of TV so I can spend time with hubby so hand quilting is my thing for now.

Enjoy your quilting!
Hugs
Patty

Block of the Month 2009
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29531[/ATTACH]

Dawn's Kentucky Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29532[/ATTACH]

Marti Mitchell book info
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29533[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-29531.jpe
Views:	14
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	29531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-29532.jpe
Views:	14
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	29532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-29533.jpe
Views:	13
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	29533  
Old 03-04-2010, 07:49 PM

Hi JUNEC, well I liked the first one - since I am in the process of making one like it in batiks. good luck