FW 221 questions

Old 01-29-2021, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by grannie cheechee View Post
I love the feather weight. Its a power house. I've made clothes and even heavy slip covers for a small sofa.
Thanks, the slip cover info is interesting because my very un-informed assumption was that it was popular mostly for small and light jobs (i.e., piecing).

But I'm not going to use Sleeping Beauty...another, much more likely 221 materialized yesterday and should arrive in a week or two. Even if I absolutely love sewing on it -- and I might, thanks everyone for that input -- I can't see becoming enough of an aficionado to really appreciate SB's cosmetics; and it probably wouldn't be a good idea to become one (enough too many sewing addictions already).

Last night I actually dreamed I passed out rufflers at Halloween...from a box I really have with way too many of them.

Old 01-30-2021, 05:52 AM

As a Featherweight lover, it's hard to understand when someone else isn't in love with them, lol! If you aren't enamored with it, go ahead and sell it to someone who will be delighted to have it! And don't worry about selling it "as is", I'm sure it's fine and if not, it can be repaired. I've purchased 4 "as is" Featherweights and none of them smoked or did anything bad when I plugged them in and tried them out after I got home. The condition of yours alone would easily attract a buyer. I have 3 featherweights, one that I use a lot and I absolutely love looking at that little cutie, wish I had room to display all three.
Old 01-30-2021, 08:15 AM

From a guys perspective that uses vintage machines daily. The FW is more ornamental personally because of it's small size & looks. It does provide a great stitch but find the machines a bit too fussy at times compared to other Singers (must be the high tolerance around he bobbin area i think). Funny though, the machine i use the least is the one i have spent the most on overhauling
I did just use the machine yesterday for taking up Heavy Weight curtains, no problems to report at all.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:16 AM

With the FW being such a popular machine and having the great stitch it does makes it the ideal machine for taking with you anywhere! I have 2 and I love them both. There are so many tutorials to help you tune thing up and make it purr. The Featherweight Shop is your best resource for all thing to do with a FW.
Finding a case for your machine is what I consider important. Many people restore cases and sell them. You can also buy an non original case for your FW that will keep it safe and secure and ready to go any time you want to take it some place.
This is a machine that is easy to fall in love with. Oh yeah one important thing. The electrical parts should be changed out because after 70 years or so you have to figure that the wiring will be faulty.
I use mine when I have a primary machine in the shop for one reason or another. I quilt with them and take with me to guild meetings and sewing groups. Of course I would take it off your hands in a heart beat.