Adjustment on Singer 401a

Old 02-08-2021, 02:18 PM

Default Adjustment on Singer 401a

I wasn't sure if I should post this thread in in this forum or in the embroidery forum,, so if I chose incorrectly, oops. My question is about adjusting the tension when using the machine for free motion embroidery. Form what I gather, the ideal setting reveals the center 1/3 of the stitch exposes the bobbing thread, and the top thread shows on the outer thirds (looking from the bottom). My issue is that the stitches are not 1/3 equally, but one side barely shows any top thread, and the other side show more that 1/3 top thread. Is there an adjustment that I can make to even out the stitch? Thanks in advance for you input. Chip
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6124.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	631556  
Old 02-08-2021, 06:30 PM

I use a 401A but not for much embroidery so i may be the wrong here. From my understanding the correct tension will show when your top thread is "just" visible on the bottom side
I'll use this to sew on badges, etc.
ps: the owners manual explains setting up the tension i believe.

Last edited by Hooligan; 06-04-2021 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-09-2021, 04:22 AM

Thanks for the reply. I've looked through the manual, but haven't yet found what I'm looking for. I think I'll go with your supposition and just roll with it. Thanks again!
Old 02-09-2021, 07:31 AM

If you make a lot of buttonholes or are really picky about your work, I would suggest you buy the professional buttonhole attachment. It is discussed here. It's unlikely you will get great buttonholes from the zig-zag cam.

bkay
Old 02-09-2021, 11:41 AM

My bad for missing the buttonhole lol Agree with BK about the use of a button hole attachment but a good looking buttonhole can be achieved with the zig-zag stitch with a little practice. Depends on the look your after
Old 02-09-2021, 12:13 PM

Actually, you didn't miss the buttonhole, I was using the zigzag pattern for creating patches with letters and words. It just seemed that one side of the zigzag was pulling more than the other side. I think my thumbnail image was confusing.....
Old 02-09-2021, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by cvanderwier View Post
Actually, you didn't miss the buttonhole, I was using the zigzag pattern for creating patches with letters and words. It just seemed that one side of the zigzag was pulling more than the other side. I think my thumbnail image was confusing.....
It sounds like a case of simply tweaking the top tension as i would imagine the bottom tension is good to go as it rarely needs adjusting itself
ps: i'll set my tension correctly for a straight stitch then make fine adjustments when doing stitch patterns

Last edited by Hooligan; 02-09-2021 at 12:58 PM.