Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trying new things >

Trying new things

Trying new things

Old 02-14-2021, 06:03 PM

Default Trying new things

This weekend, I finished binding a lap quilt that I has been working on...this one gave me a run for my money. The top went together without issues. It wasn't until I started working with my minky I selected for the back that the issues cropped up. In spite of my best efforts and using my walking foot, the minky I purchased would not cooperate at all. I ended up trying big stitch hand quilting...I LOVE it, It was such a fun thing to pick up each evening and work on.

I also tried glue basting...I ended up rolling glue on the batting after watching a YouTube video. It worked so well.

Finally, the binding. I had to sew it on blind. Meaning since the minky side down would not feed in my machine, I sewed the binding to the front of the quilt, but put that side down. I clipped it every 3 inches and it worked. I would just stop shy of the edge by 1/4 inch and take it out from under the needle and make my corner, clip it well and begin again. Then it was the finishing stitching. I ended up having to sew it by hand, but that went well. Also, I had to make the back wider than normal, because I didn't catch it in time that my backing had shifted and one corner had a triangle 3/4 inch by 4 inches that did not have a backing. I made my binding cover that gap.

All that to say...I washed it and dried it and can't wait to make another one.
Old 02-14-2021, 06:43 PM

Kuddo's to you.... glad yiu are hay wand h the results. Have never worked wth Minky. . .. think I probably won't tackle it for sure

congrats on your finish

Judy in Phx Az
Old 02-15-2021, 05:39 AM

I lay down newspaper between the fabric and the machine plate when sewing with minky. It gives the feed dog something to grab.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	preslie sr.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	631697  

Last edited by aashley333; 02-15-2021 at 05:40 AM. Reason: add photo
Old 02-15-2021, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
I lay down newspaper between the fabric and the machine plate when sewing with minky. It gives the feed dog something to grab.
That's a great idea! I will have to keep that in mind if I attempt minky again.
Old 02-15-2021, 04:08 PM

After all i have read on the board about Minky I do not think I will ever attempt using it. It feels so nice though.
Old 02-16-2021, 02:47 AM

I have a minky backing for a baby quilt I am making. Could you please advise me on how to Big Stitch Quilt...what tutorials did you use? I get overwhelmed with google, so I wanted to ask you to share the tips or links you used to learn to Big Stitch Hand Quilting. I have never hand stitched anything. many thanks!
Old 02-16-2021, 05:47 AM

Since l use a midarm in a frame to quilt, l need only be careful not to stretch it. But occasionally l use my 8900 domestic and have no issues with feeddogs dropped and doing freemotion. If doing straight lines on that , l use a ruler and freemotion, not the walking foot. l very lightly spray baste all layers. So maybe give fmq a try on your next minky project! :-))
Old 02-16-2021, 05:59 AM

I’ve never tried minty and don’t think I will. I have done big stitch quilting and I love it. It is so much faster than traditional hand quilting.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:35 AM

LiveLovePassion - you are a person that persevered and came out on top. Wish I could see it, but I am also unable to post pixs.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:01 PM

I will have to take a finished pic. I realize that I never did that since it's been so cold this weekend (-26!).
Here was one tutorial

Here is another one I watched

I bought this thread at JoAnn in a few colors. I also picked up a 14" quilting hoop and some Chenille needles (in the embroidery section). I found some rubber finger tips on Amazon to use as thimbles/help pull the needle through. I didn't like the other thimble options...too clunky for me.

Things I read online:
this post and this post were helpful too.

My biggest mistake was not tying a double knot. When I started I was only tying a single knot and several popped back out. Thankfully I had help popping them in with little effort. But I learned for next time.