Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Entering a judged quilt show >

Entering a judged quilt show

Entering a judged quilt show

Old 02-14-2021, 05:27 PM

thanks for all the encouragement! I did enter one into a modern category and seriously thinking about maybe entering another into small pieced. No doubts that I will not win a ribbon, but I do hope to get some positive comments and pointers on what to improve.
Old 02-15-2021, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by gillyo View Post
The first international show I entered was juried. Just getting accepted was enough for me. Imagine my shock when I won Best of Show! I think competing is great if you go into it with the attitude that all you want is the experience of having your work on display, and getting professional feedback. And, who knows, you might win!

In my case I had been working away for twenty years on my technique so would have been considered an advanced quilter going in. I wasn't active in the quilting community so hadn't even thought about entering a show until someone dared me. It was great affirmation that I was heading in the right direction.

I actually framed Karey Bresehan's judge's notes and have them hanging in my studio 20 years later. It inspires me!

​​
Oh, wow...congrats! How exciting and surprising! Inspiring too!

I'm in N. CA too and I have to say that there just isn't much of a quilting "community" here, where I live. We are all so far apart. It just isn't practical to try to meet up regularly. Plus, all of the sewing/fabric stores have closed down. The closest one for me is about 1 1/2 hours away and it's limited.
Old 02-15-2021, 05:43 AM

I really enjoy entering shows. I like seeing my quilts hanging where others can see them.

I also enjoy getting feedback from the judges about my entry.

For juried shows, just getting in is a thrill. Actually winning a National competition was a dream come true! There was no one home when I got the e-mail that my piece had won *something* and that it would be announced the following month at the awards ceremony, but I was so excited I stood up and jumped around my studio with my dog!

The Canadian Quilter's Association is offering Judge's Training and I'm seriously considering it. It is pretty exhaustive but would be something I would love to do.

Watson
Old 02-19-2021, 12:34 PM

My kids were in 4H for a total of 11 years and my son kept pestering me to enter my quilts. I did finally the year after he graduated. It was one of my best quilts. It did not place, but the appliqué that was not stitched down and pealing off got a 2nd place. The critique was mine wasn’t perfectly square and I need to measure my sashing and rows to ensure they were the same. I was stung but took it with a grain of salt. The next year I entered 2 wallhangings and a couch throw that I did just for fun. None of them were my best work, but I entered them for fun. I got a first, second and runner up. My conclusion is I don’t agree with our county judges, but it doesn’t really matter. I like looking at quilt shows, and if everyone is afraid to show their work, there won’t be any shows.