Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need ergonomic rotary cutter >

Need ergonomic rotary cutter

Need ergonomic rotary cutter

Old 02-27-2021, 05:47 PM

I much prefer the ergonomic Olfa cutter.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:33 AM

I just ordered the Martelli and a pair of cut resistant gloves. Given the place on my hand that was giving me issues it looked like the best option and if it doesn't work out I am sure I can pass it on and try another. Thank you all for your help!
Old 03-03-2021, 04:33 AM

I don't have any input as far as ergonomic, BUT I love using Fiskars brand items. They replace any of their products with an issue, no matter how long you have used them. I have had the first cutter I ever purchased replaced with a newer updated one when the slide part that covers the blade broke.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:46 AM

Scrappy I agree with you. I've had problems with rotary cutter...3 replaced free of charge. Ruler fell off cutting table. Landed on a corner. Corner snapped off. Sent pic. New one in a couple weeks. Rotating mat ended up with grooves from years of use. Guess what. NEW ONE! They just need pic of the item. What the issue is and ya wait. Now the wait is longer due to Co-vid.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:13 AM

I love the Martelli ERGO 2000. I have the 45 mm & 60 mm, but use the 45 the most. I have a drawer full of Olfa and fiskars and they are good, but I find after a few hours of cutting my hand was hurting. I never have that problem with the Martelli. Some of my friends had problems at first getting used to using it, but once they figured it out they haven't used anything since.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:42 AM

I have my first rotary cutter which has to be 15-20 years old. It is a Dritz whereby the blade comes out when you use it, and immediately goes back to its original position when you lift it from cutting. Nothing to open and close manually. Don't even know if they make this kind anymore. No special blade just the round one like everyone else uses. I think being a lefty this is the best for me.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:24 AM

I basically use the Fisker's with the curved handle....but what I found most helpful was to use the biggest size you can...for most cuts I use the 60 mm one....but also the 45 mm one a lot. and I also have smaller sizes for more delicate cuts. And always replace your blade when it does not cut easy. Oh...don't tighten the blade too tightly. Have it so it does not wobble...but with light presser will roll easily. A lot of folks tighten the blade too much making it harder to roll. And I love putting my cutting board on my raised cutting table. I have it up on bed risers. I don't have to bend over to cut and it is much more comfortable for my back, arms, and hands. Oh...and take breaks frequently...consider a timer. And also consider investing in an accuquilt Go if you can. I got mine before they came out with the electric one, but I have been thinking of getting one.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:58 PM

I love my olfas. I also have a gingher I love as well. I prefer the quick change ones
Old 03-06-2021, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
I like to try them first. They need to fit my hand. I've tried the Martelli ones and not bonded with it. My favorite for now is the Olfa 60mm. Slide the blade to cut. Slide the blade to close. I always-always close it after cutting. I have one of the squeeze ones too. I don't want to have to hold it to keep it open while cutting. It is safer though. No squeeze-No cut!

I would like to try the Quilters Select to see how they fit my hand. Good luck!
If you are referring to the Olfa ergonomic cutter that you squeeze the handle to expose the blade, you don't have to keep squeezing it while cutting. The locking button that secures it shut also secures it open. I've used this kind of cutter for years and I love it. It's much more comfortable than the straight cutter for me.

Leslie
Old 03-07-2021, 04:38 AM

Right now it’s the 60 squeeze handle. I like laying it down and it’s closed!
I also love the Quilters Select 45. It is a substantial cutter. Feels good to use.
I tried a Kai. No open or close. Start rolling and the pressure brings out the blade. Have not been able to get a good cut from that one.
of course any cutter with a new sharp blade it nice! I have a tendency to use my blades way too long!!!