Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grace Cutie Frame and Juki DX 1500 QVP >

Grace Cutie Frame and Juki DX 1500 QVP

Grace Cutie Frame and Juki DX 1500 QVP

Old 02-06-2021, 07:44 AM

Default Grace Cutie Frame and Juki DX 1500 QVP

Thanks in advance for indulging a newbie! I’m planning on getting this frame due to space issues. I’m struggling, though, with whether I should use my current machine or if I should look at getting a dedicated quilting machine. I have and LOVE my Juki DX 1500 QVP. I do a small amount of quilting. Up until now, all of my projects have gone to a friend who has an amazing long arm setup but I want to start working with machine quilting and the Grace Cutie frame looks like a great place to start that will fit into my home and ability to putz around bit by bit very well.

Here is what I am struggling with: Will my current machine need a stitch regulator? I’m not sure one is available for my machine and I don’t know if it is needed. I don’t want to get a frame and be disappointed with the results that could be easily solved with a stitch regulator. If a stitch regulator is encouraged, I’m probably going to get one of the package deals with a new Juki TL 2000qi. If, however, the regulator isn’t needed with my current machine, I’ll happily spend just the $800.

Would love to hear any and all opinions!
Old 02-06-2021, 08:07 AM

I've been looking at the Cutie frame also with many of the same questions you have asked. Will be waiting to hear answers from others also.
Old 02-06-2021, 11:43 AM
mkc

Stitch regulators are machine-specific. You'll need to contact The Grace Company and ask if one is available for your Juki and works with the new Cutie frame.

That said, it looks like this is the stitch regulator and I do not see that model Juki in the drop down list

Last edited by mkc; 02-06-2021 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-06-2021, 03:36 PM
mkc

Just out of curiosity, why the Cutie frame (which requires you to have something appropriate to put it on) rather than the Hoop Frame (which I believe is about the same size and is free standing)?
Old 02-06-2021, 06:50 PM

I’ve looked at a few stitch regulators and there doesn’t seem to be one for my machine (can I just say how much I love the automatic buttonhole feature on mine? I just got done building in thumbholes for a fleece pullover for my daughter using the automatic buttonhole foot and it is seriously the easiest thing ever). It also doesn’t have one built in, which is to be expected. So that leaves the question, would I find one to be beneficial? I have not done any free motion quilting. I am not interested in quilt shows or a professional look but I do want my end product to be sturdy without getting mad at a big mix of stitch sizes and ripping everything out only to redo it six different times. My first ditch stitched quilt took me 17 years to finish because of the lack of a walking foot and me ripping things out.
Old 02-06-2021, 06:55 PM

I already have a nice set-up in the spare bedroom with a kitchen table where the cutie frame would fit well. I can easily store it in the closet, too, along with a second sewing machine. I was thinking about the Grace Hoop Frame and getting rid of the spare bed but we have enough visitors where I really do need the bed. In theory, I could probably put a full size frame in the Kid Cave, but I would have a mutiny on my hands as that’s where the X Box, the big TV and the surround sound are. It’s also where the kids have sleepovers.
Old 02-06-2021, 07:16 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by TequilaandQuilts View Post
I’ve looked at a few stitch regulators and there doesn’t seem to be one for my machine (can I just say how much I love the automatic buttonhole feature on mine? I just got done building in thumbholes for a fleece pullover for my daughter using the automatic buttonhole foot and it is seriously the easiest thing ever). It also doesn’t have one built in, which is to be expected. So that leaves the question, would I find one to be beneficial? I have not done any free motion quilting.
Many people quilted before stitch regulators existed and continue to do so. The quilter themself was the stitch regulator - moving the sandwich (if doing at a domestic/sit down) or moving the machine (if on a carriage and frame) in as constant a speed as possible, in rhythm with the stitching. Many people just use the stitch regulator for ruler or pantograph work and don't bother with it for FMQ.

Now, that said, if you have your machine set up to do the quilting, you won't be able to use it for sewing without changing things up. If you just do "piece a top, then quilt the quilt", it's not so bad. But if you want to have a quilt in progress AND also switch over to a sewing project, I would definitely consider getting a second machine that would be mostly dedicated to quilting. It would also give you a back up machine if your main one were to go in for service.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by mkc View Post
Just out of curiosity, why the Cutie frame (which requires you to have something appropriate to put it on) rather than the Hoop Frame (which I believe is about the same size and is free standing)?
I ordered the Cutie frame because it can be stowed away when not in use and you can then use the table for some other purpose. When you have a tight space for sewing, the ability to hang this frame on the wall or put it in a closet is appealing.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:58 AM

I use my Grace and Brother 1500se without a stitch regulator and can make great FMQ designs pretty easily. Right now my machine is down until I get it fixed. Next on the list to get done. I have another machine that has to go into the shop first.
Also let me take this time to welcome you to the QB! I am so glad you have jumped right in and hope to see a lot of you here. There is a load of information to be shared. You are in the right place. Again welcome to the QB.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:48 PM

Default The Cutie Frame is a Table top frame system

Originally Posted by mkc View Post

the Cutie is a table top hoop frame system for $800 .. a great deal lower than the others. Also having a table 4 ft x 3 ft is a necessity. ( and hard to find ) I found a craft table that fit the bill.. I will quilt in my garage, then take my machine in at night.
.I just ordered my Cutie and have watched EVERY video out there on it . Also I have been in contact with Grace Co and have asked a ton of questions. so here it is. I have a PQ1500s it has approx 8" of throat space. the cost is about $800 for the frame, it comes needed to be assembled but there is a detailed video on how to. it's not hard. If you like ruler work, check with Sew Steady they have a Domestic ruler Base 18x18" that works for my PQ1500s you have to ask them if it will work for yours . Additional things you may need are "leader cloths" they are expensive to buy at Grace Co. but can be made with canvas ( serge the edges ) with rope at the top .. you'll see what I mean when you watch the videos. Also Lea Day has videos on the Z- hoop frame which is like the cutie only with legs. Theres a bit of a learning curve to this frame I am told. Hopefully I will post videos when I get mine, it's on back order until April. check out the videos on the cutie and the Z-hoop frame .. to get an idea about the Cutie. It's so new it's hard to find info yet. I just can hardly wait to get mine > its' on sale at sewingmachinepartsonline.com

Last edited by KurmanQuilter; 03-05-2021 at 01:52 PM.