Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello I'm new and I have a question >

Hello I'm new and I have a question

Hello I'm new and I have a question

Old 03-05-2021, 03:29 PM

Question Hello I'm new and I have a question

I have my moms 1969 75th Year anniversay edition Bernina 717 machine in a beautiful wood table. Its been serviced several times just to keep it running good.. its in beautiful condition. it comes with a bench seat and the cushioned seat lifts to put something inside.. I have the original booklet and a plastic kit with extra feet and other things in it. I want to sell it as its only been used as a table top for years, protected of course.. the wood is in Excellent condition.. I'm trying to find out the worth of it.. Thank You All, from the Newby
Old 03-05-2021, 05:34 PM

Welcome from South Louisiana. I Googled your machine to see if I could find any worth for it. There was one mention of one that sold for $100. I didn't read enough to know what the condition was or if it had a cabinet. Perhaps Facebook would have a vintage Bernina group that could be more help.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:22 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
Welcome from South Louisiana. I Googled your machine to see if I could find any worth for it. There was one mention of one that sold for $100. I didn't read enough to know what the condition was or if it had a cabinet. Perhaps Facebook would have a vintage Bernina group that could be more help.
Hi from Vancouver BC... thanks Barb.. I've always wanted to go to Louisiana...I have found some in far less good condition as mine for $600-$800 .. So I guess its all over the map..I will check out FB too...
Old 03-05-2021, 11:52 PM

Is there a picture of your machine?
Old 03-06-2021, 04:36 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!
Old 03-06-2021, 05:04 AM

Hi - Vintage machine prices are rather location specific, and with this being something isn't a candidate for shipping, you'll need to see what your local area will support. Keep in mind that you may be able to get a lot more if you remove the machine and sell it and the accessories and are willing to ship. Though if you ship, make sure you do research on how to properly pack a machine. Accessories can sometimes sell for more than the machines if you've got some of the harder to find ones.

Bernina's often go for higher prices than many other vintage machine, with the 830 Record (from 70's) being one of the most sought. The 717 appears to be a lower end machine and is not an open arm, so don't expect to get what a nice 730 will bring, and don't even look at 830 prices. I've owned a 530, 730 and still own an 830. Paid from $50 - $350 for them, all in very good condition with nice cases and accessories. I got the 830 at a garage sale so way cheaper than one would sell on eBay.

EBay is a good place to check prices, but make sure to look at what has been sold. There are a lot of people that will be asking for a lot - but their stuff sits and sits and sits. Keep in mind that eBay prices can often be way more than you can get locally as there may not be many collectors in your local area and that will keep the price low.

One never knows though - you can advertise locally for $500 with the cabinet and accessories and you might find someone that is looking for just that setup. It's unlikely, but it can happen. Depends on how quickly you want it out of the house.

Note - if you are hoping to sell it as a starter machine to someone getting into sewing (and not a collectable) then you'll need to price it based on what the cheapo machines are selling for new - so that would probably be in the $50-$100 range. However may starting out don't want a cabinet to take up space in their house, they want portable so if they don't like sewing, it can stay in the closet!

Last edited by Macybaby; 03-06-2021 at 05:08 AM.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

If it is running well. And you have space for it, I strongly recommend keeping it.

If it is not running well , or you have no interest in sewing, then sell i5.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:41 AM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan! I cannot help you out with your sewing machine but I know others are already giving you some sound advise. Again welcome aboard.