Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
embroidery machine recommendations >

embroidery machine recommendations

embroidery machine recommendations

Old 03-06-2021, 07:42 AM

Default embroidery machine recommendations

Oh no...my trusty Viking D1 screen is starting to freeze periodically. No new screens available. So I am thinking of replacing her. I don't want to buy a top of the line Viking at this point. I think I am looking for a machine not more than $2000. I have a lot of embroidery designs on CD's and gasp, even some on floppy as the D1 ran off of them. thankfully, I have an external floppy drive and my desktop and laptops still have CD drives. Does anyone have any recommendations. I have looked at the Viking Jade 35 as I also have a ton of extra feet for my D1 that I could use on the jade. any other thoughts. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2021, 02:00 AM

I don't have any experience with any embroidery machine brands except Janome and when I wanted to upgrade, I found it is easier to stay with the brand I was familiar with and that all my designs were compatible with......Janome is Jef and I think Viking is Hus? Anyway, something to think about since converting from one format to another might be problematic or at the least aggravating. Also the learning curve within the same brand may be a bit easier, at least it was for me with my upgrade.
Good luck in your search for a new machine!
Old 03-07-2021, 05:19 AM

Thank you for your thoughts. I think my D1 is old enough that any machine I get is going to be new....Yiks....the D1 has a floppy drive....Hus is a really old viking format. Most of the CD discs I have of embroidery designs are multi format so hopefully I can still use most of them. I don't plan on doing a lot of embroidery...but I am getting up there in age. and who knows...maybe I will find it more enjoyable and easier to manage if I go into assisted living.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:22 AM

Here are a couple of things to consider before your purchase.

What type of projects do you make? What size hoop do you want? Do you want to quilt ITH? Do you have a way to convert the designs into different formats for other machines? Do you have a local dealer for support with the machine?

I'm a brother/BL girl and like the machine features. I use a usb for designs but can send the design to the machine using wireless technology.

Good luck on your decision!