Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Juki thread jamming >

Juki thread jamming

Juki thread jamming

Old 03-08-2021, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

The problem with sewing over a hump....if one side of the presser foot is on the feed dogs and the other off, it will not feed properly and it will develop a nest underneath because it isn’t moving. Yes, you should be able to sew over more then one layer of fabric.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:30 AM

I would not tolerate that in a brand new machine.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:13 PM

I've initiated a return. They contacted me this morning and basically suggested I check the bobbin case for any nicks or sharp edges, check the thread path for any catching, pretty much everything I'd already done. They asked me to send photos of the "thick fabric" I was using, and I explained it's just cotton quilting fabric and re-iterated that it's not like I am trying to do blue jean hems or draperies...but that it makes me wonder if the machine is this sensitive with simple cotton, is it really an industrial machine like the claims state. I've made mistakes in sewing, and had to correct a mistake. But (as I said to them) if I have to stop every two minutes to clear out a thread jam, cut threads, cleanup my piece..that isn't really conducive to quality sewing.

Luckily, they do have a good return policy and I've boxed up the machine and sent it back. Granted, I'm sad to not have a machine, but I'm going to take my time to find a suitable replacement.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:51 PM
Power Poster

My Juki is a straight stitch only machine. I have had it 13 years, never been in a repair shop. I bought it online.

I am so sorry you had these problems.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:55 PM

I have an industrial Juki 8700. it has no bells and whistles, and it will sew through anything including about 8 layers of denim with no problem. I use it mostly for piecing, and it also has no problem sewing on one layer of thin fabric.

The machine you got is not from the Juki Industrial line, I hate when domestic machines are advertised as "industrial" just because they will sew through heavier fabric. Happens with vintage machines all the time.

Glad you are able to send it back, and if that is the model you really want, you may want to try again. What you got is not normal for that machine, and lemons can happen with anything.