Birth of a Sewing Machine

Old 03-14-2021, 05:22 PM
Power Poster

Default Birth of a Sewing Machine

Forgive me if this has been shared before. I just finished watching this video from over a century ago. It will make you love your VSMs even more! Mostly what was being made in this video was the Singer 201, a beautiful machine. It was so fascinating to see all the factory works. It makes me want to go back in time. Wonder what that factory is like today....?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIMxwy8CLkw
Old 03-15-2021, 09:18 AM

Thank you so much for sharing this video. Gives me a new appreciation of not only my old singer machines but even the machines made today.
Old 03-15-2021, 11:05 AM

wow thanks so much!
Old 03-15-2021, 11:21 AM

The factory in Clydebank, Scotland no longer exists, it now looks as if there was never a factory there. I think finally torn down in the 80s
Old 03-15-2021, 04:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by charley26 View Post
The factory in Clydebank, Scotland no longer exists, it now looks as if there was never a factory there. I think finally torn down in the 80s
I knew it closed in the 80's but had no idea it was torn down! So sad.... I love old factories. What a lot of history went with it.
Old 03-15-2021, 06:36 PM

I just finished watching this video -and just loved it! Thanks so much for sharing. I am a small collector of antique Singer Sewing Machines - my oldest is from 1926 -sisters with 5 featherweight machines (4 are 221 and 1 is a 222). I also have 2 301a machines, a 306 which uses weird needles (as jn hard to find) and a 503 (the Rocketeer) which is a duplicate if what my Mom sewed dresses for me and my sister. My sister has Mom’s original 503. With this video I sure can see why these older beautiful machines are so treasured - they were produced with such care and workmanship, I wouldn’t touch a Singer made since the 1970s and with the follow-up video I understand why they are a piece of junk(IMHO).

Thanks again for sharing,
Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 03-15-2021, 06:39 PM

What a bummer about the Clydebank manufacturing buildings - I would have loved to see them - pictures will have to do. I’m going to Google about the Singer building in NYC and see what happened to it. That tower is fabulous.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 03-15-2021, 08:42 PM
Power Poster

It looks like most of the buildings of the Singer factory in Elizabethport, NJ are still there. Not operating but at least they haven't been torn down. Those need to be made into National landmarks so they can be preserved. What a great museum that would make, where people could learn about life during that century (roughly 1880- 1980.)
Old 03-15-2021, 08:45 PM
Power Poster

I think I read the NYC Singer factory was outgrown by the demand, so they moved it all across the bay to NJ, into a bigger facility.

The huge machines inside the factories were such a wonder! I guess Singer made them too?
Old 03-16-2021, 06:52 AM

Wow! Amazing! This puts the history of our machines into perspective. Thanks for sharing.