Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I sewed my finger!!!!! >

I sewed my finger!!!!!

I sewed my finger!!!!!

Old 03-04-2010, 01:30 PM

Been there, don't advise it!!! First time thru the nail out the other side...had to take needle out of machine to get my finger loose...last time it went thru but along the side of the nail... :thumbup: best part of the first one...guess which finger??? :thumbup: :-D :thumbup: Yup, after going to the hospital for stitches and to get tetnus shot.and bandage...had a middle finger that I was instructed to hold up for a day or two. It was so that the throbbing wouldn't be so bad.... :lol: :lol: :thumbup:
Old 03-04-2010, 01:32 PM

I worked in the clothing industry for years and all machinists had long finger nails. Better to hit the nail than your flesh! lol

Karen xx
Old 03-04-2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
I was working on my latest charity quilt today and I sewed my finger. I was very very fortunate. I was doing machine applique using the satin stitch. I had the foot pedal unplugged so it was going pretty fast and it went in and out right beside by finger nail. It didn't stop the machine and it didn't skip a stitch. It just kept right on sewing. No blood on the quilt either. That's what is really important!!

So, want to share your sewing over your finger story?
I was concentrating, got my finger too close to the needle, and sewed the whole way through my fingernail! I was home alone and had to get it out myself. It scared me more than it hurt as I recall. But I AM more cautious of keeping my hands away from the needle now!
Old 03-04-2010, 02:41 PM

I was sewing alone in the house which was all locked up and sewed my finger. It jammed the machine and it took a few seconds to realize my finger was what jammed it. Thank God I had my cell phone in my pocket. I called my mother for help and she wasn't certain she had a key and it took her a bit to find it. When she finally got to my house I gave her directions to find the needle nose pliers in another room. By this time my finger was starting to pain me. She couldn't find the pliers and all I could do was laugh as I started to feel stupid for sewing my finger. By this time, 15 or so minutes had passed with my finger stuck in the machine. I had to cut the needle (which came out on the bottom) below my finger which meant I was still stuck and had to find a screwdriver to unscrew the needle. Finally got my finger out of the machine but the needle was still sticking out of it (with thread). I wanted it x-rayed so went across the highway to the emergency clinic as I was afraid the needle may have gone through or broken a piece of bone off. One of the nurses took a picture of my finger with her cell phone as she had never seen such a thing. Luckily, no bone damage and they just pulled the needle out really quickly. Since then I always keep one door unlocked, needlenose pliers, and a screwdriver next to my sewing machine and the cell phone in my pocket. I can laugh now, but it really wasn't very pleasant at the time.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:00 PM

I did that one time too. The needle went rignt through my finger nail and out the other side. I was home alone so I knew I could not panic. I actually had to get the needle out of the machine before I could remove it from my finger. And the I had to go to the garage and get a pair of plyer to pull it out. I never had any blood or pain. There certainly is alot of force behind my Viking Designer machine. But I love it. It is truly my best friend during the cold snowy winters here is Iowa.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:05 PM

The same thing happened to me when I was in high school. I caught the side of my thumb with the needle. The needle broke off in my thumb with the thread still attached. Without even thinking I just pulled on the thread and pulled the broken piece of needle right out. When the bleeding stopped, I put a band-aid on it and went right back to the project at hand.

I am thankful it has not happened again since---it hurt!
Old 03-04-2010, 03:30 PM

You are so fortunate. I sewed my finger one time. The needle broke cause it hit a bone. Had to have the rest of the needle cut out.

OooHHHH it hurt.!
Old 03-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LovingIzabella
Originally Posted by oksewglad
Oh I have done that too, but...
It was late at night, burning the midnight oil when the kiddies were 12 and under. Sewed my forefinger right through the nail, left hand--ouch--broke the needle, and I knew there was a pieceof needle in my finger. DH took me to ER, and the older MD on call didn't beleive me when I told him there was metal in my finger, but I could feel it. Long story short, he deadened the finger and started cutting and voila, there was about a 1/4" piece of needle. Think the old guy was wondering why any sane person was sewing at that time of night, but young mom's everywhere know why. Anyway 25+ years later end of finger still has a dead spot! Be careful out there!
I did this as well! My nails grow long so it caught my pinky nail, sucked my finger under and broke the needle. Went to the ER, got a tetanus shot :-( and they had to cut my pinky, remove the metal and give me one stitch lol!
Hugs
April
Reading about all this brings it back and makes me shudder!
Old 03-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Virginia
You are so fortunate. I sewed my finger one time. The needle broke cause it hit a bone. Had to have the rest of the needle cut out.

OooHHHH it hurt.!
Okay now there are three of us who had to have needle cut out of our fingers. I'm still cringing as I recall that night! Glad it's early enough in the evening and I won't be having nightmares!
Old 03-04-2010, 04:00 PM

Something that also hurts just as bad as the needle is the screw that holds it in. Several times I have had my fingers too close & that screw has come down & cut me in the 1st joint of my middle finger.