Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Blockbase? >

New Blockbase?

New Blockbase?

Old 03-20-2021, 10:09 PM

Default New Blockbase?

I searched for a topic on this, and couldn't find one, so here I am starting one!

Has anyone gotten the new Blockbase? Do you like it? I don't have EQ8, bought my EQ7 right before they released EQ8 and couldn't justify the immediate additional cost. Thus, I can't do any linking from Blockbase to EQ, so it'll have to work as a standalone if I get it.

I love that Blockbase can export to cut files for my soon to be Silhouette Cameo! Has anyone tried that export and thought it worked well? I know you can export from EQ itself and clean up manually for the cutter, but who wants to waste crafting time doing that! :-D.

I'm hoping for some inspiration to start myself quilting again. Maybe Blockbase would be it. But only if it works well.

I have the 1st edition of Brackman's encyclopedia, an impressive work. I also bought the original Blockbase, but I'm not sure I even have a version of Windows that runs it anymore. Oh, gotta love and miss the dark ages.

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2021, 11:10 PM
Gay

I don't have Blockbase, only EQ7, and will not be upgrading in the near future. Had a look at the website and found these reviews from some who bought the original Blockbase, and the first one states that she had no issues in linking it up to EQ7.

Blockbase reviews.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:48 PM

I just bought the new BlockBase+ and so far, I think it's miles ahead of the old version. But, what a shame that they didn't make it compatible with EQ7. I guess you could export a block as an image and trace it in EQ?

I like the assortment of layouts you can see for each block and I like the colorized block illustrations. I've already got a bunch of favorite blocks saved.

I don't have an automatic cutter - I'm sorry I can't help you there.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 03-20-2021, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
I don't have Blockbase, only EQ7, and will not be upgrading in the near future. Had a look at the website and found these reviews from some who bought the original Blockbase, and the first one states that she had no issues in linking it up to EQ7.

Blockbase reviews.
Unfortunately, the reviewer is referring to the original BlockBase, which is apparently not
compatible with EQ8.

I used the originial with EQ7, and loved it, but I can't get it running on Windows 10.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:21 AM

I’m looking forward to getting the new blockbase. It has every pattern that Barbara Brackman has found since 1997. It’s substantial. I have the original blockbase. Have used it a bunch. I do have EQ8. There isn’t anything out there even close to this collection. I just read that EQ is having a block quilt to do. It sounds like you choose what size to make the blocks.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

I have the original Blockbase program and Foundation Factory, also old DVD's from quilt books like Farmer's Daughter. I got them all working on the newer Widows computer by selecting open with (whatever the oldest version was). There were several options. I looked up how to find this online when I got a new computer. The newer programs are downloadable from online as most new computers do not have the dvd drive. I didn't want to rebuy the ones I already paid for.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:37 PM

Thanks, all! I posted this question and then went back to sleep. Came back at lunch time to lots of helpful information!...as is always the case when I have a question :-D.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I have the original Blockbase program and Foundation Factory, also old DVD's from quilt books like Farmer's Daughter. I got them all working on the newer Widows computer by selecting open with (whatever the oldest version was). There were several options. I looked up how to find this online when I got a new computer. The newer programs are downloadable from online as most new computers do not have the dvd drive. I didn't want to rebuy the ones I already paid for.
I have the one that is older than the old one they still list on the web site. It was on 3.5" disks. I don't think I could even install it, although I might have to try again with Windows 10. I'm kind of in the same boat about not wanting to repay, but the SVG converter is tempting. I'd love to download a block, open my cutter software and print. I have a Cricut, but will be returning it for a Cameo. Hopefully the Cameo cuts fabric as well.
Old 03-21-2021, 03:10 PM
Power Poster

My first few EQ programs were on the 3.5 discs. I remember the man who wrote the EQ program said he would never go to Windows and only use the DOS format. LOL I don't think any computer will read those now.
Old 03-21-2021, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
My first few EQ programs were on the 3.5 discs. I remember the man who wrote the EQ program said he would never go to Windows and only use the DOS format. LOL I don't think any computer will read those now.
Yeah, I think these were DOS-based, but Windows 98 will still read them, ha. My husband has experimented with compatibility mode programs, so maybe we can find one that will emulate Windows enough for the old Blockbase.

Again, my life would be easier if I just bought the new one!