Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why am I having a hard time letting it go? >

Why am I having a hard time letting it go?

Why am I having a hard time letting it go?

Old 03-04-2010, 11:10 AM

Pat, Beautiful flannel quilt. Love the colors, especially the purple.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:15 AM

I have made 2 wallhangings recently, both for the same friend who was moving. I had a hard time parting with them b/c I was having a hard time letting him go. His wife knew how much work had gone into them - she actually kept the 1st one for their next house which was why he needed 2. She thanked me for the love represented in those 2 quilts for him. This is just to say that although it was hard to give him the 2 quilts, I know that they're loved and appreciated and I'm sure your mom will love and appreciate her quilt. Actually, this year I hope to make my mom a quilt for her bed. She's asked me to make her one and I'm gonna try one. Nothing fancy but tons of love will be in it. She'd also like a quilt for her cat who sleeps on her bed with her. I doubt that one will get done but may make the cat a flannel pad to try to contain her fur in only one spot.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Marjpf
Every so often I make one for someone else, and have a hard time giving it to them. It's usually because I invested so much of myself in making it perfect for them that I feel like a part of me is going with it. I'm sure your Mom will be so happy with this quilt, and that she will appreciate all you did for her.
I get that way at times too.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:28 PM

It's hard to give up something we as women have "birthed". Even if you're baby isn't the prettiest in the world, you'd still want to keep it. I still have my daughter's present from her last birthday, and she will have another birthday next month. Maybe I'll think of something else to give her just one more year.LOL
Old 03-04-2010, 04:16 PM

I think we allmay be a little goofy when it comes to our quilts. i have a hard time cutting the fabric, and after putting all that tome and work in something...well it is like a part of you. You are not alone!!!! :lol:
Old 03-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

I never really thought about it. When I am making a quilt for someone else, I cannot wait to give it to them. I once sent a quilt to my favorite news correspondent and wished I could have crawled into the package so that I could be there to take pictures when he opened it.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:30 PM

Beautiful quilt! And such a nice presentation - nice, nice, nice.

I've had the same problem. Sometimes it's because I'm afraid the recipient won't like/appreciate it - I'm so excited about it and I'm afraid they'll see it as just another gift. And sometimes I think it isn't good enough - I know every flaw in it - I'm afraid they'll see the flaws too and wonder why I didn't fix them (even though I may have tried 3 times!) I think it's just hard for us to give away something we have invested so much of ourselves in. Just enjoy how much she's going to love and appreciate it.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:33 PM

I agree with "Wills granny"........be so happy you have your mom and can give this wondeful gift to her (its a piece of yourself you are giving to her, that is right and so good!)You will probably get it back sometime, after your mom leaves, and in the meantime, she has something so special from you! I always make a photo of the quilt before it leaves my house, and I have every one I have made in that album. That way, I can still see it, and know if I want to make it again. Start your album if you dont have one, it is so good to keep for your record. Write a date and who has it, on the back of your printed photo.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:44 PM

I am just the opposite. I have always given my quilts away. Wish I had some of them. I do have one I made about 15 years ago, and it has really been used. That is why I am glad to be doing the block swap. This one is going to be for my dh and I to use on our bed. At least it is a start. I always wondered about my friends who have all these beautiful quilts folded up in a closet. Maybe they were feeling protective about their quilts.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:44 PM

I have no problem giving my quilts away because most of the time, I made them to be given away, anyway!
I don't even care about the response, though I am pleased when I find out the recipient was very happy ... mostly because DH taught me to do what I wanted for the reason I wanted regardless of the response ...
having said all of that, I have had one quilt that I was happy to see it go out the door, and then MISSED it!
It had been a wonderful quilt in the fact that when I bought the panels and fabric line from a friend back home, there were no patterns to follow so I had to figure out how to put it all together into something ... and, it HAPPENED! When I got the final binding on, it actually looked like I had known what I was doing all along ... that was a blessing ... and, then it got sold and I was LOST! LOL
I hadn't counted on missing that quilt so much, but I went back and bought the original package again, and - - it is STILL sitting in the box it came from the store in ... I had figured I would never use the quilt, but would make it for granddaughter #1 and I would never have to miss it again! ... silly people we are <g> <wave>