Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Backing width issue >

Backing width issue

Backing width issue

Old 03-31-2021, 03:57 PM

Default Backing width issue

I have a throw quilt top that I made for my Mother for this coming Mother's Day. I wanted to send it to be long arm quilted to soften the straight edges as it is a mix of 2.5 inch blocks making up a pixel heart center and 2.5 inch wide strips. The top measures 51 W x 60L. I have a very nice older piece of Ralph Lauren brushed cotton fabric that is just over 55 wide but with the very wide salvage edges measures almost 58 inches. So in order to meet the Long Arm requirements I need 59 inches of width. So my question is what do I do to remedy this? Do I waste some ugly jelly roll strips and just piece them on the sides as waste strips? I really don't want to waste another full length of this fabric for a few inches--but also don't want something to happen and have the top get slightly crooked and then have issues. Any ideas would be great.

The pic is of the backing I would like to use. It is darker in the photo then in person.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image_67148545.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	632594  
Old 03-31-2021, 04:07 PM

I really think your longarmer would be just fine with the 58" width. The width is easier to work with than the length. As long as she centers the quilt top and the backing, it will be just fine.
Old 03-31-2021, 04:51 PM

talk with your long armer--I can always do less on the sides, but really need the top and bottom extra because of how I load on the frame. If she really does need all the extra go ahead and cut some strips of "ugly" fabric.
Old 03-31-2021, 05:23 PM

I was going to send it to a company (not sure if I can say name on here or not) but a large company that has an online form you fill out and you mail the quilt top and backing to. I do know of one Long Arm Quilter that is about 3 hours away, but that is the closest that I know of to me. I live in very Northern NY state up near the Canadian border. So I won't actually talk to the "quilter."
Old 04-01-2021, 06:05 AM

The extra width is needed for the machine not to bump into the side clamps. If they load it with the selvages (ie - you leave it as is and do not cut off the selvages) it should be fine. If you are concerned I would call the company and and have that conversation. I have at time had to use a narrower quilt back and if it is too narrow for my likes, I baste a strip of muslin to the sides so I can clamp it but imho you should be good with that fabric.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:31 AM

This kind of question needs to be addressed wit the longarmer. Start with that phone call and see if you have enough.
Old 04-04-2021, 11:41 AM

Maybe you need to visit with your longarmer to see what she likes to have extra on the sides. Each longarmer is different in their requirements