Wilcox and gibb needle nut.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:10 AM
pgf

For the record, the wrench for both the original needle nut, and the presser foot nut, is 9/32". 7mm works fine as well.
I agree that it looks like someone tried to "make do" with something other than the original nut.

paul
Old 04-08-2021, 11:14 AM

Default Willcox and Gibbs Needle nut

Don't know how you are coming with getting the nut that is on there OFF. I said that I would let you know what I had found out about a needle nut. I have not come up with a replacement yet but did notice on the ubiquitous auction site that some one seems to be selling W&G needle nuts for a commercial Pegasus machine. I am not sure they are exactly the same as what is on a household Automatic machine but they do look similar. The price is less than $10 for 2. Since I think someone has tried to "make do" on your machine, even when you do get what's there off, an original nut may not fit because they messed up the threads. 10 bucks might be worth a try. If it actually does fit an Automatic it would be quite a bargain as they often go for 3 or 4 times that for just a single nut. I also checked and agree that the original nut was a 9/32nd on an inch.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:29 PM

I've contemplated this problem on and off the last couple of days. I haven't come up with anything other than what has already been mentioned.

The size wrench that would be used as mentioned is 9/32" but are they both tapered threads? If it is still on the machine, can you put a mirror and see if the bottom of the bar is smaller than the nut on the upper side? I hope the ones that cwillis found will work.

In case you need a manual there is one at http://needlebar.org/main/manuals/wi...bbs/index.html and there is trade literature at the Smithsonian - https://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollec...0039/index.htm

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Old 04-12-2021, 08:06 AM

Default I forgot all about this forum!

Thank you all so much for the replies I have been busy finding a sock knitting machine and trying to work out what in heaven it was so forgot about my Wilcox until my needles arrived today and I remembered that I can't get the dang nut off..I will have a look for the pegansus nuts be worth a try... I bought lots of needles I didn't realise thought I was getting four needles and got four packs of ten and I ordered from two other people on eBay and etsy as well cos I panicked and thought they might be so rare. These are shmetz or something look very old the others will be new but hopefully fit. Anyway... Haven't managed to get it off its still soaking... I can't find kerosene anywhere...its not really a thing you buy here.... Unless you want a tank full lol! And I mean a homheating tank lol! So sewing machine oil and orange oil I have...orange oil was fantastic on my k99 for cleaning oily gunk and rust it didn't damage anything and its non toxic so I like it a lot. It Is a solvent. Its also lovely on the musty wood and get a rid of the smells and old layers of beeswax really nicely... Anyway thank you so much. I thought if I can't get it off maybe people replace the needle bar? Or is it just too different to be exchanged? I saw a lady somewhere who had broken her whole bar so I asked if I could buy her nut...it was years ago she may have thrown it out by now. Anyway I will try to get it off first I suppose and worry about replacement later. No use leaving it on anyway. So gratful you guys!
Old 04-12-2021, 07:16 PM

Default Pegasus nuts

During all of this I have learned something. The Pegasus nuts do seem to work. The are not as thick as the ones on the automatic but they do seem to work. Since the Pegasus DCM-204 and 500 series machines were commercial machines, I have found the needle bar nuts nuts on several commercial sewing machine parts sites. If worse comes to worse and you do destroy (or if it has already been destroyed) it is possible to replace the needle bar. They do show up from time to time.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Coxgibbsinger View Post
Haven't managed to get it off its still soaking... I can't find kerosene anywhere...its not really a thing you buy here....
I don't know where you are, but I bought it at Walmart. It was labeled unscented Lamp Oil. It was in the candle section.
bkay
Old 04-13-2021, 06:23 AM

Liquid Wrench penetrating oil would work, too. You may know it better as paraffin oil. Like bkay says - lamp oil. I can't find it now, but one website lamp oil was 'cleaner' than kerosene. If you use other penetrating oil, I think you would be well advised to keep it away from the black paint or decals.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.