Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kona/Bella/Confetti Cottons >

Kona/Bella/Confetti Cottons

Kona/Bella/Confetti Cottons

Old 04-09-2021, 02:11 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I find Kona to be somewhat weightier than the others and haven't used it much; Bella solids seem to me to fray a bit more than the others, but a wonderful range of colors; Michael Miller cotton couture line is a higher thread count and very silky; the Art Gallery line of solids has that almost papery feel that all of their fabrics have, and I would guess their thread count is also higher, and their colors are more avant garde, as are the Free Spirit line of solids; I think Confetti cottons is the Riley Blake brand, so, happy colors, and they get very soft after washing; Centennial solids is the Marcus reproduction line of solids, if you're looking for toned down versions.

For me it comes down to -- who has the exact color I want? I shop for them at Fat Quarter Shop; I just choose 'solids' from their 'fabric by theme' option and put a ton of selections of various brands in my cart; from there, you can then view the thumbnails and compare between them to fine tune. Once I've narrowed it down, I'll often order the minimum 1/2 yd. of a few; just to be sure it's what I want (they are not always as they appear on the monitor).
Thank you for the detailed info.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

peace and joy...you made detailed comparisons, thank you.

I work in an LQS, recently owner has been guying Bella for her go to solids. We do have some Michael Miller, Riley Blake, American Made, and Kona as well. One thing I will say about the American Made...we have had bolts fade on the fold line...more than likely from the overhead lights, but if it fades there it will fade any where. I have never been pleased with the weight of Am Made either. Love the way M Miller feels.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
... the American Made...we have had bolts fade on the fold line...more than likely from the overhead lights, but if it fades there it will fade any where. I have never been pleased with the weight of Am Made either. Love the way M Miller feels.
This is good information as well. I have not found it to be widely available, but know that some do look for goods made in the US.

Personally, I don't generally care for solids in quilts, with the exception of the background. Even then, I tend to use many low volume or fabrics that read as neutral. I'm just starting two quilts that use one constant background, making both king size. The first is Patchy Stars, using Spring Brook by Corey Yoder. The second is Serendipity, a sew along by FQS. I am using the suggested background - Thatched in navy - but the other fabrics will be switched out. Using so much of one fabric in a quilt is daunting - I'm more of a Bonnie Hunter or Becky from Quilted Twins type of quilter.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:22 AM

Thanks all for the great information. I do love the Art Gallery prints so I will give their solids a try. Like one of you mentioned I match the colour if I can without regard to which line. But....most LQS underdandably have limited lines and don't offer every colour in the solid range.

I relied heavily on the Kona swatch card (which at the time was the only one out there) when I started doing Round Robins through the mail with distant quilting friends. We could keep on the same page by saying "all prints must coordinate with colour x" from the swatch card.

Now there are a gazillion solids out there, and a bunch of swatch cards. I am a sucker for solids collections!

***There is one huge advantage to quilting with solids, and that is the cost savings. Solids are up to half the price of prints.***

Last edited by WesternWilson; 04-11-2021 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by WesternWilson View Post
***There is one huge advantage to quilting with solids, and that is the cost savings. Solids are up to half the price of prints.***
I have often wondered if this hasn't been a big draw for the modern quilt movement. Eons ago inexpensive plain muslin was the background fabric for the pretty calico quilts of bygone days.

Like you peaceandjoy I seldom use solids. I am more likely to use a fabric that reads solid but gives a little more depth to the piece.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by WesternWilson View Post
Hmmm.... Good point. I hadn't even thought about the cost.

My next test on these fabrics will be for shrinkage. I am not a prewasher. Currently working on a quilt that is a combination of Moda Spring Brook and Art Gallery Pure in Snow. Just the steam from the normal pressing is causing the seams to pucker a bit, and the only reason I can come up with is that the AGF must be shrinking significantly more? Disappointing, if I find this to be the case, as the feel is amazing.
Old 04-11-2021, 04:39 PM

I have purchased Bella “Black” several times and am totally amazed that no color came out!! Yes, I prewashed with a color catcher and “YAY” no color on the catcher. Would be interesting to find out everyone else’s results with various colors. So sad about the red bleeding, that is very disheartening.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:40 PM

I mostly buy Bella solids because of the range of colors.

Last year I purchased a couple of Art Gallery solids from an online store. Silky before washing. After washing it softened up. Not sure I would purchase again.

One of my favorite backgrounds in white/cream printed muslins. These are a little more expensive that straight solids, but I love the little bits of print. One of my favorites that I purchased several times was a light honeycomb design.

I tend to mix solids into quilts or use a solid background when I have a really scrappy quilt so the eye has a place to rest!