Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which is The Lightest Stabilizer for Photos >

Which is The Lightest Stabilizer for Photos

Which is The Lightest Stabilizer for Photos

Old 04-17-2021, 05:12 AM

Default Which is The Lightest Stabilizer for Photos

Project:

I am making a Memory Quilt for my niece. Together, we chose muted red, blue and cream colored fabrics. The pattern of the quilt that i settled on is a 15" block consisting of 4 71/2 inch squares. I pieced the top and sent it out to be lightly quilted using a swirl quilt pattern. I just received it back from the quilters and it is just as I hoped it would be.

After my photos are prepared, I plan to sew them onto the top of the quilt. I decided to do this project this way as I did not want the photos quilted. (I have never done a memory quilt before). I had the photos printed with a very dark navy blue border around them so that I would not have to sew the borders onto the photos.

I found the backing at Spoonflower. It is a charcoal background with red 1984 Impala car images on it! (The fabric is quite heavy but the 1984 Impala was my great nephew's favorite car.)

I have my first set of photos back from Spoonflower. I have over 30 photos to have printed. I'm doing one yard of fabric at a time, which holds approximately 9 photos. Now I want to prepare them for the top of the memory quilt.

The photos are printed on cotton poplin, which is a bit thin and the background (quilt) does show through. Therefore, I want to add a very lightweight stabilizer to the back of each photo.

Question:

Which lightweight stabilizer have you found that works best to attach to the back of the photos before attaching them to the quilt?

Thank you for your usual kind and generous help! Yolanda