Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I sewed my finger!!!!! >

I sewed my finger!!!!!

I sewed my finger!!!!!

Old 03-04-2010, 04:09 PM

Mary,,honey take it easy , soo sorry this happened and from the other messages ; it happens pretty often. I sewed my finger through the nail with my Mom's sewing machine when I was about 5. She freaked but Daddy stopped her from jerking my finger out. He lifted the needle out by turning the wheel. She never threatened me and never let me near it again. I've only been quilting about 3 years. take care, ok.
:D Karen
Old 03-04-2010, 04:26 PM

I did that years ago, needle went right thru the nail & out the other side. I didn't realize the machine had an automatic lockdown if it jammed so I couldn't move the needle bar up, seemed like forever I was stuck in that machine. I was home alone except for the cat, I told her to go get help but she just stared at me-LOL.
It was probably 10 seconds that the machine was in lockdown, a relief when I could finally turn the handwheel & pull out the needle-needle didn't even break. Luckily it missed bone and no lasting damage, made me pay more attention to what I am doing though.
Maire
Old 03-04-2010, 04:27 PM

I was trying to help my sister learn her Viking. She sewed right on my finger when I was adjusting the fabric. I said an ugly word and called her a name starting with a B!

She just looked at me and said "Lesson's over, that was my last needle!". Then we both cracked up laughing as I looked at my "bird" finger with the needle broke off and sticking out both sides....and yes, it did smart especially pulling it out. :)
Old 03-04-2010, 04:33 PM

Hi - I'm fairly new to quilting, but have been sewing most of my life. I have a professional embroidery business (20 years now) that I run out of my home. So to the finger story. When I first started my embroidery business, was in a warehouse setting, sewing away at 500 stitches a minute with a big professional embroidery machine. Was trimming without stopping the machine and got my pointer finger on the left hand. The needle stopped down in my finger. Got the mechanism to go up and went to the local clinic. They pulled out some thread and needle and I went back to work. About a month later, I felt terrible. Went to a real doctor. He sent me to hospital for x-ray. Guess what? Needle piece still there. He numbed my finger, cut off half nail and put my finger in a pan to soak (about size of bed pan). I'm not exaggerating, pus went over the top of the pan. He said he had never seen anything like it. He put gauze in my finger. Went back a week or 2 later. He numbed finger (did not numb it) and pulled out the gauze. I screamed so loud that we thought we had sent all the other patients running! I soaked the finger for years and it has never been the same - I still feel thread in the finger. I will never trim again without stopping my machine - any kind of machine!
Old 03-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Power Poster

Oh...I haven't done it with the machine...just hand sewing...but I just can't bear to read all of these!!!! Ya'll......BE CAREFUL!!!
Old 03-04-2010, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Margi
Hi - I'm fairly new to quilting, but have been sewing most of my life. I have a professional embroidery business (20 years now) that I run out of my home. So to the finger story. When I first started my embroidery business, was in a warehouse setting, sewing away at 500 stitches a minute with a big professional embroidery machine. Was trimming without stopping the machine and got my pointer finger on the left hand. The needle stopped down in my finger. Got the mechanism to go up and went to the local clinic. They pulled out some thread and needle and I went back to work. About a month later, I felt terrible. Went to a real doctor. He sent me to hospital for x-ray. Guess what? Needle piece still there. He numbed my finger, cut off half nail and put my finger in a pan to soak (about size of bed pan). I'm not exaggerating, pus went over the top of the pan. He said he had never seen anything like it. He put gauze in my finger. Went back a week or 2 later. He numbed finger (did not numb it) and pulled out the gauze. I screamed so loud that we thought we had sent all the other patients running! I soaked the finger for years and it has never been the same - I still feel thread in the finger. I will never trim again without stopping my machine - any kind of machine!
I think I 'm gonna puk. It is a wonder that you didn't lose that finger.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:10 PM
Banned

OUCH....
Old 03-04-2010, 06:24 PM

Hi I was teaching my grandchildren to sew many years ago and sewing and talking and what do I do but sew my finger needle stuck in the finger and the machine stopped so I took the needle out and asked my grandson to please pull the needle out and don`t do what I did. and tried to calmly put ice on the finger but it hurt so bad. Both th children were speechless. Later we laughed about it and they teased me for a long time after that especially when I made them a few quilts. Janey
Old 03-04-2010, 06:24 PM

OK,

How long does it take the human nervous system to react to 1600 stitches per minute while sewing?

My answer: 3 1/2 stitches along the inside fold of my fingernail and right off the end of my finger.

My brand new Viking Megaquilter on ten foot quilt frame, set to high speed 'cause I was in a hurry.

I let go of the left handle to smooth a ripple in the top near the needle, then shifted direction with my right handle, meandered my finger right into the quilt!!!

Wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't jerked real hard on the next to last whole stitch and made the needle break.

Last stitch was with a broken needle shaft.

Took a half hour to find all the needle pieces and make sure none was in the finger.

Took two hours to pick all the dark blue lint out of the finger.

Oh, and there was no blood on the quilt!!
Old 03-04-2010, 06:54 PM

Yeeeoww>. Hope once is enough. Was at a qulting class the other day and the teacher said if you ever do bleed on your quiltyour own saliva is a good solvent or hydogen peroxide. Odd tip.