Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I do with... >

What I do with...

What I do with...

Old 03-04-2010, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Your computer screen also makes a wonderful light box.
The computer makes a awesome lite box because then I don't have to print out the pattern, providing the internet is where I got the pattern.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Katia
Where is the Newbies challenge. I totally qualify. I am so new I have no idea where the challenge is.
Katia, the Newbies Challenge is in "Main"......

Go to the top of any page on here and look to your left it will say "Quilting Forum" --> . Well click there and "Main" topic is the first one listed, click on that and you'll see it there on top. Have fun, Melody
Old 03-04-2010, 07:46 PM

TJ Max and Ross are two stores in my location that have new sheets and wonderful soft fleece blankets for very good prices! (Thanks friends, this is fun!)
Old 03-04-2010, 07:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by raptureready
Your computer screen also makes a wonderful light box.
Yes. I have done that too. I love that I can make the pattern the size I want.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:57 PM

This is a wonderful thread. I picked up some tips and got some chuckles, too! Here's my tip: save the plastic containers that fresh spinach or salad greens come in; they are the same size as the plastic see through shoe boxes. They stack neatly and are great for your 2 1/2", 3", 4" , etc. strips.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Banned

wow what wonderful Ideals, I have no money and a few of the ladies on this board are and have sent me some scraps so I could start sewing, now I cant wait tell the grage sales start. thank you so very much. Penny
Old 03-04-2010, 11:46 PM

You all have given me some great ideas for saving on my quilting. I use the empty spice bottles that I get at Costco for putting broken needles,pins and blades. I'm a safety nut when it comes to those things have had 2 friends hurt badly from stepping on needles that have fallen and got stuck in the carpet. One of them is crippled the needle did so much damage to her foot. Must accidents happen at home,so I tie to be as safe as I can and I wouldn't want someone who came to visit to step on one either.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:43 AM

I use empty cosmetic jars and containers with screw on lids for pins etc., and I collect boxes for various things. My family are always donating them. If I don't use them for my sewing paraphernalia they often end up as fabric covered gift boxes which also forms part of the gift.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:13 AM

Checked Craiglist this morning to find a garage sale starting at 8am right here in my home town that listed quilting supplies and fabric. Looks like DD will have to be ready to get dropped off at school just a few minutes early. LOL Gotta go to it.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:24 AM

empty prescription bottles work well too.

A piece of batting on your lap seems to attract loose threads.

That rubberize shelf liner that you can get in the housewares section of Walmart is great for keeping your foot pedal where you want it and for keeping your machine from walking across the table.

Last year on a garage sale I purchased one of those metal record album holders from the 50's or 60's and it works great for holding my rulers.

I'm off to a garage sale this morning to see what kind of bargains I can find---I'll let you know if I find any good ones. They advertised quilting supplies and fabric. I'm still searching for a couple more record holders--my two quilting sisters liked my idea so much that they want some for themselves. And there's been so many good ideas on this board that I'm going to really keep my eyes open.