Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gorgeous YoYo Quilt on Shopgoodwill >

Gorgeous YoYo Quilt on Shopgoodwill

Gorgeous YoYo Quilt on Shopgoodwill

Old 04-22-2021, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

That’s just sad that no one in the maker’s family valued it.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:36 AM

I see so many beautiful things in the Goodwill. Things that were saved for the special days and so were left unused. I have one son and he is sort of a small footprint sort of person, am learning to deal with the idea that no, he really doesn't want or need any quilts from me (at least for now) no matter how many I have in my heart.

One of my Tuesday Quilters is helping her friend clear out an estate -- friend now lives out of state. The friend's father died and the mom is now in memory care and there is a whole house of beautiful things. Everyone in the family has beautiful things from mom. What is left behind is proving too much stuff.

I love my son and love my grandson but I had secretly hoped for a granddaughter just for the fun of the accessories. I decided that if I felt someone needed to dress like a fairy princess, well that could be me! Post Covid I definitely have a dress code that involves reconsidering what I'm wearing if I leave the house! I buy beautiful wonderful shiny stuff at the goodwill in perfect condition for $5 or less. Don't blame me if I'm wearing your Christmas outfit while washing the dishes, I'm enjoying it very much!

Currently cleaning out my old set of daily dishes, over the years pieces break and chip. This year I'm going to buy some beautiful gorgeous set of vintage formal china for 12 with roses and such for the same as I could buy a set for four at Target. And yes, it will be every day. Hubby's mom sent his grandmothers flat ware a month or so ago. It's nice, very nice but it is dishwasher safe and is going to replace the current mismatched stuff.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:03 PM

I love using my parents' "Sunday Best" china every day, and my sister enjoys it too when she comes to visit. And it's in perfect condition, never sees a dishwasher.
If you love it, use it and enjoy it! Don't save it for someone who might not want it.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:53 PM

I follow a few auctions near me and I was very surprised at the price on old quilts. Most were very cheap. I was going to lots of estate sales before covid and the price on quilts was very reasonable. I just found a trip around the world baby quilt, done in vintage prints for $38. It wasn't old, because I recognized a few of the fabrics in it. My husband was like why are you buying that. Well because I can. It's very cute. It was machine stitched but hand quilted. I gave it to my daughter when she was here for her little one to play with. She is just 2 and wraps her dolly in it.
Old 04-23-2021, 03:33 AM

I really like the design, if the colors were more in the reds, blues, or other pastels, I would love it too. The basket in the center really sets it off. But I wonder what they meant by "crimped"?
Old 04-23-2021, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Patg View Post
I really like the design, if the colors were more in the reds, blues, or other pastels, I would love it too. The basket in the center really sets it off. But I wonder what they meant by "crimped"?
I think they are describing how the yo-yo's are gathered. Probably not a sew-person writing the description, lol.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:36 AM

I love your outlook Iceblossom. My everyday dishes is a set of Wedgwood and I use silver plated utensils. I used to do estate sales and the saddest thing I saw was the pristine, silk peignoir set still in its box from a Paris couture with the sales slip dated 1933.