Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you store your "works in progress"? >

How do you store your "works in progress"?

How do you store your "works in progress"?

Old 04-26-2021, 10:01 AM

I use various things depending on what I have available which in turn depends on how many projects I'm working on. If available, I use a plastic box with a top. I can usually fit fabric, pattern and backing in one. If my plastic boxes are all being used for other things, I use a large shopping bag like the ones you get from dept stores. I prefer the boxes, but I use what I have.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:55 AM

It depends on the size. For smaller projects that haven't been sandwiched yet, I like to make a little bag out of some of the fabric in the quilt, so I can easily recognize what project it is. Then I fill them with everything associated with that project and store them flat (sort of) in drawers. The bags really help to save space.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

I do not ( store) a work in progress- it is out, possibly all over the sewing room. If I stop working on a project it becomes a ufo and is put away. Depending on what stage it is in it May be in a drawer or a box or bag. Also depends on why I stopped working on it. If I may never finish it it might be packed away for a long time- if I plan to finish it , it will stay fairly close- a drawer or a shelf
Old 04-27-2021, 01:51 PM

Bear, that is *such* a good idea. I really just need to do that. I hate when I put things down. I hate it more when I pick them back up and *blank stare* as I try to recall all of that. Sheesh.
Old 04-28-2021, 03:26 AM

Scrapbook plastic boxes, 2 gallon ziploc bags, plastic shoe boxes. I also write the name of the pattern or copy it on my home printer (this is for my own use and no copyright is abused) and place it in whichever container is being used. I never have more than three going at a time.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:23 PM

I normally only work on one project at a time. But I have 5 going now, and my OCD mind is not happy! I have 3 Christmas table runners, one I am in the middle of hand quilting, the other 2 are pieced and almost ready for hand quilting, I have one quilt that I just need to hand sew the binding on and a quilt we just started in class. My sewing room is shared with my grandkids bunk beds. I am leaving everything neatly stacked on the bottom bunk because I am afraid of the out of sight out of mind syndrome. I will probably never do this again. The table runners are small projects I plan to take on vacation in our RV to work on, I will sew the binding on in the evenings so there is method to my madness.
Old 04-28-2021, 08:22 PM

I keep UFO's in plastic bags and hang them on a hanger in my sewing room closet. I also have a list on the wall, so I can see what is there. I even get to cross one off every now and then!
I have a plastic project box for the project that I am taking to sew day at my LQS.
Watson
Old 04-29-2021, 03:26 AM

Most are in totes on the floor next to my cutting table - I'm working on four samplers at the same time right now. Don't have to worry about needle position as they are being sewn on my straight stitch machine.

I have several long term UFO's in totes in my stash closet. I don't worry too much about them as if they are in there, I might never get back to them. Quite a few of my ufo's are block sets too - way too many of them!
Old 05-04-2021, 01:06 PM

I only have one partially done top. The cut fabric is in it's own project box (I use plastic boxes with lids so my cats can't get inside) and I'm storing that partially made top on my quilt ladder with my other quilts so I see it everyday and I'm reminded that it needs to be worked on.

P.S. I have two quilt ladders that I made myself from a picture tutorial on the internet. I only needed a drill, a wood boring drill bit, a couple of 1" x 6 ft boards, some 1" dowel rods (I used my yard lopers to cut the dowels to size), sand paper, glue and stain.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:02 PM

I usually do lap size quilts, so my design wall can hold 2 projects. Parts and pieces, or anything that got " stalled", gets put into the project boxes mentioned by a couple of others.To keep things organized within the box, l slip the cut pieces by shape/ colour into sandwich bags. A copy of my pattern is included, with notation of any special stitch/setting on machine.