Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Two things I learned recently >

Two things I learned recently

Two things I learned recently

Old 04-28-2021, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltwoman44 View Post
Yep we must improvise things when nothing works the way it used to. Cat litter boxes are huge things now. i can only buy the 28 lb ones and then getting them into the cart and out and into the car is fun. then home. getting it into the house and pushing all the way to my bathroom over the tile floor. that works fine. CATs should learn to do their own pans!! Hmm, maybe a cat school!
Yeah, right. I've got a couple that would look at me with the expression of "that's why we have you"
Old 04-28-2021, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by ladyinpurple135 View Post
I’ve been doing thst fourth corner trick since I was a kid (a very long time ago). I’m short and it’s the only way to get tights bottom sheets on. The problem with sheets now is that they are too big - meaning most are made for the really deep-sided mattresses - which we do not have. I’m still grumpy about manufacturers inly selling sheets in packages with both too and bottom - and nit selling bottom sheets by themselves. I have a very worn out bottom sheet but the top sheet is just fine. There. Just be bottoms sold,somewhere.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
I actually like the deep pocket sheets, makes it easier to put on. My problem is my sheets are deep pocket but the mattress pad isn't, and I have a egg crate foam pad too. So it's mattress pad, foam pad, and then sheet on top.

You can buy just a fitted bottom sheet on Ebay. Or Amazon.
Old 04-28-2021, 03:45 AM

Before I had my hip replacements i used a cart on wheels for my laundry, and also moving lots of things around the house. It is one of those type with the big wheels that people use for shopping or take to flea markets. Mine had a cloth insert so smaller things wouldn't fall out. It was very easy to pull around and it folded up. My house has a sunken living room i had to maneuver and it worked great up and down those steps too.
Old 04-28-2021, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

I have several rolling laundry baskets. Tall and deep with retractable handle. I got them at Walmart. I use one to take items upstairs. They sure are handy. My grands roll each other in them a lot too. I think they were about $15 maybe less. I've seen wider ones at the dollar store too.

Old 04-28-2021, 05:09 AM

When I was a kid bottom sheets with elastic were a new thing so most of our “bottom” sheets were really just top sheets that we put on the bed with hospital corners. I’ve been thinking about going back to using a “top” sheet and hospital corners for the bottom sheet since we always seem to have the problem of either: 1.bottom sheets that are tight and hard to on but actually fit correctly or 2. Bottom sheets with deep pockets that are easy to put on but are too big for our mattress and always have lumpy wrinkles in the corners....

Rob
Old 04-28-2021, 05:19 AM

I only have 2 sets of sheets for our bed now & one set got so thin that it started developing tears in it. After a few "fixes" I decided enough was enough with that bottom sheet. Of course we were right smack in the middle of the pandemic & I wasn't out shopping at that time so I got some fabric that I had for a long, long time & did not see using it in a quilt so I made it into a bottom sheet (not fitted). It works like a charm & I just use the "hospital corners" on it. Granted, our mattress is heavy & it's hard to tuck she sheet in but it works for me.
Old 04-28-2021, 05:35 AM

I was having problems getting things off of top shelves and out of the washer, so I use a pair of long handled tongs. My son saw me doing this and almost fell in the floor laughing, but hey, it works.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:03 AM

Ah, yes, the joys of getting old and feeble! I feel your pain! Glad you figured out solutions.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:23 AM

We live in a tri-split, and it's a hike to the laundry room. I do laundry once a week, so it's a trek! I do the hanger hook also, dragging the filled laundry basket, thumping down the steps, across the big landing entry level, down the next set of stairs, across the family room, and into the laundry room! Many a day that I cursed the person who designed and built this house!
Old 04-28-2021, 07:27 AM

Quiltwoman44, I solved the litter problem. I use the grocery pickup when the litter gets low. Walmart shoppers load it in my trunk, and I leave it there until son in law or daughter come by. One of them unloads it form my car trunk. I also change sheets when I know they will be here. They do it for me! I use a walker, so put the laundry basket on the walker seat. Problem's solved! I am blessed to have daughter and son in law!