Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Terminal End Tantrum >

Terminal End Tantrum

Terminal End Tantrum

Old 04-28-2021, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the description, Onebyone, so it would be like one of those horrible Franken-fabrics with the big stitches down the middle? Always a joy when I cut fabric to find one of those in the middle of the bolt when the person needed 8 out of the 15 yards of fabric there and no way to get around the seam.

That is certainly worth a call to get right. Should have been caught by quality control but it can be amazing the stuff I don't see when dealing with folded yardage.
Old 04-28-2021, 04:29 PM

I believe what she's referring to as "terminal ends" are where a run of fabric is joined to another run of fabric at the factory. This is usually characterized by large stitching holding the 2 ends together. It is not the same as selvedge or end of bolt.
I have seen this before with orders from Connecting Threads, but as I said, I ALWAYS get more than I ordered. The piece with the "terminal end" isn't even counted in my order, I usually get it for free.
Old 04-29-2021, 10:37 AM

Connecting Threads is generous like that. I don't think I've ever ordered a yard from them that measures less than about 39 inches. And their kits always have more fabric than needed for the project, too. If you have an oops moment, you can fix it or you can make a smaller matching project.
Old 04-29-2021, 01:45 PM

That's nice to know about CT - I've been tempted to purchase more than just thread from them!
Old 04-29-2021, 03:52 PM

I love their threads - particularly their polyester PRO thread.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
I am confused about the term "terminal end" too. It is not the selvage edge right? I know on occasion, I will buy the end of the bolt and that fabric at the end can be pretty wrinkled and not straight. Is that what you are talking about?
I'm confused by that term also. Maybe the OP will clarify for us.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:37 AM

My understanding of size of fat quarters is that they are anywhere between 20” to 22”, depending on selvedge.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:00 PM

Excise me, I stopped getting notices on this post and just saw it while browsing. I never knew this funny little annoyance would bring up such discourse!

By terminal end, I mean the part that is printed with the name and details of the printing for the fabric, which runs along the end. Might this be the same as the Selvedge, I wouldn't be surprised. My fabric ordering background was by the bolt and not for quilting. I didn't know this was so common!

Also, I see a LOT of love here for Connecting Threads! I must admit, I have had many frustrating interactions with them before this FQ set. Nevertheless, they had tried very hard to help. I just don't see the point in bothering them over this issue since I got what I needed for the project. But I will say something if it happens again!

Lesson learned.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:47 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by tlynnc View Post
By terminal end, I mean the part that is printed with the name and details of the printing for the fabric, which runs along the end. Might this be the same as the Selvedge, I wouldn't be surprised. My fabric ordering background was by the bolt and not for quilting. I didn't know this was so common!
What you're describing is the selvedge. Regardless of size, fabric is cut from the bolt from selvedge to selvedge. This means you will receive at least one selvedge edge on each cut. A width-of-fabric cut will have two selvedge edges, while a fat quarter (which is a half-yard cut in half again on the short side) will only have one selvedge edge. That is normal and to be expected.

Unless you are purchasing pre-cut charms, layer cakes, or the like, there will be selvedges on the fabric. Jelly roll strips have selvedges on each end.

Old 05-04-2021, 05:57 AM

The printing on those selvage edges could be helpful as there is identification as to the fabric manufacturer, the name of the fabric pattern, the designer, and the code for the color number. There is also a little row of color dots with the colors that went into printing the fabric. Not all of this info may be on each but in quilt shop quality fabric there will be something most often. Some of us will cut off the selvage edges to make stuff out of. Just do a search for "selvage edge" patterns and you will find a lot of different ideas from quilts, to bags, to stuffed animals made out of those selvage edges.