Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yes. Another Help with Quilt Design, thread. >

Yes. Another Help with Quilt Design, thread.

Yes. Another Help with Quilt Design, thread.

Old 05-03-2021, 01:38 PM

Default Yes. Another Help with Quilt Design, thread.

I am at a loss as to how to quilt this. I've had it loaded for 2 weeks and just keep staring at it.
If anyone has ideas, I'd be pleased to hear them. Remember, I am new on the long arm so can't do anything really fancy.
I could do all ruler work, but that would be boring.

Thanks!
Watson
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0095.JPG
Views:	366
Size:	432.7 KB
ID:	633218   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0097.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	440.1 KB
ID:	633219  
Old 05-03-2021, 02:07 PM

What an interesting design - very eye-catching and with that white, it looks fresh and spring-y.

I like to use curvy quilting almost always, especially with angular blocks and rows. You could do a simple all-over design with curls and a curvy teardrop with petals on the outside curve, then echoed, bounce into a curl or two or three then start another curvy teardrop, etc. (It's a paisley, but that sounds a lot harder than it is. )

Whatever idea you like, draw it over and over on paper or a dry erase board until you feel no hesitation at all about where to go next - no anxiety. I don't know why this works so well, but it's like magic, especially on a longarm where you actually are "moving the pencil on the paper," instead of moving the paper under the pencil like you are when you're working on a domestic machine.

Whatever you decide, it's going to be a beautiful quilt!

Old 05-03-2021, 02:19 PM

What a graphic quilt! Here is what I would do with a puffy batting and with the ditch stitch around each strip and square, and simple easy freehand in the squares and triangles. Very bright and happy! Can’t wait to see what you choose!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	D3ABB9F3-3D80-4137-9A46-102A09EA2C59.jpeg
Views:	191
Size:	417.0 KB
ID:	633221  
Old 05-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Power Poster

I would probably straight stitch all the triangle shapes and squares.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:49 PM

If you like feathers, those wide diagonals of white fabric would be fun to have a long undulating feather on. If you want to keep it simple, diagonal lines (parallel with the fabric stripes in the triangles) would look nice, and could be done via rulers.

If you'd like to play with a variety of textures, Angela Walters recently put out four videos for her Flora and Foliage Free-motion Challenge Quilt Along, and you could put some or all of those textures in different parts of your quilt. That could be a lot of fun as well as a learning experience.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

I might use a rainbow variegated thread and if you have a curve ruler, I would do a curve petal from the seam in the center of the coloured triangle back to the seam and then a curve petal half on and half over the triangle into the white and then a curve petal up to the corner of the white. It would be a 4 petal flower in each square using the center seam in each square as the axis. Clear as mud right? Pretty top!
Old 05-03-2021, 05:23 PM

I like the idea of an overall 'curvy' sort of design. How about Angela's hook swirl? Machine Quilting the Swirl Hook: A Swirl Variation Tutorial - YouTube
Old 05-04-2021, 02:50 AM

I’m glad to know that I’m not the only one who loads a quilt for a week or so before deciding on the quilting. I was thinking the same as platyhiker, feather plumes in all of the white. What a neat pattern...I can’t wait to see what you come up with Watson.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:45 AM

Love this pattern!! You did a great job with colors, very inspiring for my stash of strips! No ideas for a quilting design, but I like the ideas of curvy lines also.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:52 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
I am at a loss as to how to quilt this. I've had it loaded for 2 weeks and just keep staring at it.
If anyone has ideas, I'd be pleased to hear them. Remember, I am new on the long arm so can't do anything really fancy.
I could do all ruler work, but that would be boring.

Thanks!
Watson
question for Watson - may I ask if you had a pattern for this and what it is? Or did you design it yourself? it would be easy to figure out, but a pattern is nice too! Thanks.