Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advise on buying new machine >

Need advise on buying new machine

Need advise on buying new machine

Old 12-13-2020, 11:17 AM

My recommendation would be to let your wife pick it out. I know that may ruin the "surprise" but at least she'll have what she wants. My dad bought my mom a really nice sewing/quilting machine a few years ago...he was really trying to get buy her a machine she would love...and it is a really nice machine but... it has a side loading bobbin and my mom finds it too hard to load as compared to a top loading bobbin so she won't sew on it. Sad really.
Old 12-13-2020, 03:41 PM

My husband has surprised me with a sewing machine. Although I really appreciate his thoughtfulness, I wish we had gone together to buy it. My husband knew all about the bells and whistles from talking to the salespeople while I had to learn from the manual. Yes, there were classes for the machine but I felt like I missed out learning the basics.
Old 12-13-2020, 05:52 PM

I agree with everyone else to let her pick it out. You could make it fun on Christmas, print out your own gift certificate (or "date" card to go to the dealer) and put it, folded up, in the bottom of a box. On top of it put a small sewing machine (a toy or ornament or something similar). I've done something similar and it was fun for them. At first they were obviously confused but when they got the gift certificate (gift card in my case) they lit up!

Old 12-13-2020, 06:16 PM

Due to covid shut downs you might not be able to test drive machines. .Babylock & Brother have great sewing/embroidery machines in your price range,Go to their websites for descriptions & dealer locations. . Because of the pandemic dealers are allowed to sell via phone & ship. Brother has some models that allow you to embroider Disney, Pixar, STAR Wars or Marvel.
Definitely let your wife pick machine,important
Old 12-14-2020, 04:25 AM

Another here on the 'let her pick it out' bandwagon. When I purchased my current machine (about 15 yrs ago now), DH was with me. If left to him, I would have ended up with a more expensive machine with capabilities I had no interest in using. As it was, I got the machine I wanted that does the things I wanted it to do. Haven't regretted that decision one iota. It is a Viking Husqvarna that has been an absolute dream.

Perhaps put a picture of a sewing machine in a card/box and wrap that for birthday or Christmas - occasion of choice? That way she knows of your intent of the gift but gives her the joy/need to select her own machine.
Old 12-19-2020, 05:14 PM

Also.....welcome to the board!!!
We would love it if you came back and gave us an update.
We would also love it if she signed up here too and joined the fun. Maybe post some pictures......

And.....you might give it a whirl yourself. Lots of gents love to sew. Just sayin.
Happy Holidays
Old 04-13-2021, 12:16 AM

You can buy your embroidery machine through amazon or any other online store without going the shopping center.
Here is the complete guide to buy your embroidery machine.
1- Explore the review section of different embroidery machines and note down the names of embroidery machines that have good reviews.
2- Watch YouTube tutorials related embroidery machine reviews and it will help you to buy yours.
3- Keep the buying purpose in mind, some of the embroidery machines are best for the patches, and other can help you to embroider hats.
4- You can also read articles to get more idea. Thanks.
In 1000$ budget you can buy Brother PE800, SE600.
Old 04-13-2021, 04:47 AM

My advise---- let her choose the machine she wants. Sewing machines are sorta like buying a vehicle. Is it comfortable, does it have the options you want and would use or a lot of stuff she wouldn't use? Is the speed fast or too slow, does she like a drop in bobbin or a front load bobbin? So many things to think about. In my humble opinion, take her shopping and let her test drive the machines that appeal to her. I thank you for being a generous and thoughtful husband.
Old 04-13-2021, 05:17 AM

Janome machines are my choice. They are well made and dependable, ask any repair technician..not a sales person.
when you added embroidery to the list,, the price went way up.. What does she do more, sewing , quilting, or embroidery?
Do not buy from a big box store. Negotiate with local shop. When you and your wife find what you want, walk out to the car,, check online prices,, then let the store know you can get the same Machine on line with free shipping and no sales tax, ask if they will come down on their price...my experience, they will meet the online price. Of course, go on line and get the BEST price. Kenssewingcenter.com, Sewing Machines Plus, D & H Sewing are all good dealers l have purchased from all of them..because they offered more of a discount.. They all have competitive pricing.
Happy hunting!
Old 05-04-2021, 08:50 AM

If you want to set up in your home then choose between
  • Janome MB-4S
  • Single Futura XL-400
  • Janome Horizon Memory Craft 12000
  • Brother PRS100
I personally go for Brother.