Singer Sonata--help fixing

Old 05-09-2021, 04:21 PM

Default Singer Sonata--help fixing

Hello, I am new to this section of the quiltingboard forums. I have an early 1980's Sonata by Singer machine. This was my very first sewing machine when I was quite young. I used it for years without knowing that I needed to oil it etc. Like I said I was very young (elementary school young). About 10 years ago it began bird nesting and skipping quite a bit. Knowing much more about sewing, I tried new needles, cleaned it out, different threads etc.but it still wouldn't sew neatly. I was in midst of moving my family of 5 and many animals to another state when this began happening, so I boxed it up and brought it along. For many reasons I just cannot get rid of it. I have tried over the years to fix it. I even bought another one--same model off of ebay to try to see if I could figure it out. There used to be 1 machine repair shop about 2 hours from where we now live, and I did call them. I was told that it would cost more for them to look at it then it was worth, so just get a new machine. Well I just cannot do that. I have the feeling a spring or something may have broken, but I really don't know. Does anyone know anything about the Sonata, or of a place that I could send this to....it would need to be shipped....and could fix it? Once the second Sonata began with similar issues, I bought a vintage Singer 99 machine. It is a 1958 and I love it----but I still would like to try to get my very first machine working again. I do miss the zigzag stitch when I need to reinforce edges or do butt seems of batting etc. I also do light upholstery work and the Sonata was always up for the task, but not anymore. Any advice would be great. Thanks.
Old 05-09-2021, 04:36 PM

I personally think that the repair shop you talked to, is right. In my personal opinion, any Singer newer than a late 60's, is a piece of junk. The 99 is a great machine, although it's only straight stitch. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, there are a few machines that have a pretty decent reputation, Brother, Janome and Eversewn are ones that I can think of, and they are zigzag capable. Maybe someone else will have better news for you than I.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:44 PM

It looks like there are at least a couple of models of Sonata machines. There is a manual at https://res.cloudinary.com/singer-se...ng_Machine.pdf I would pay particular attention to pages 43 to 46 of that pdf. It is possible that there is a thread or lint somewhere under the bobbin case or feed dogs. It is possible that it may have plastic gears that could have cracked. If that is the case, probably it would be more expensive to have it repaired, even if the gears are available.

I suppose it would be possible that there is something else going on. Do you still have both Sonatas? If you are into self servicing, you could probably take it further apart and oil some other places inside where metal rubs metal. Another thing that might help would be to take apart and clean the tension assembly.

Good luck on getting it back to working condition.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Old 05-10-2021, 05:54 AM

Pocoellie----I just cannot bring myself to get rid of it. Perhaps someday I can build a shelf big enough to just display it. But I will not send it to the trash. My father bought me this machine, and I cannot count the number of projects he and I created with this machine. ----Ourworkbench--I have the original manual and have tried the troubleshooting sections. I do fear that there are plastic parts that have broken. Maybe I will have to just shelf it, but thought I would try to seek others advice.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:17 AM

I would agree with retiring the machine unless you know an OSMG or are yourself confident replacing parts
As Workbench mentioned, it could be something simple and a routine service/tune-up will take care of if nothing is worn or broken.
I'd also display it on a shelf with fond memories if it had to come to that
Old 05-10-2021, 06:23 AM

If you rotate the hand wheel by hand without thread, does it feel smooth all the way around?

Old 05-10-2021, 04:05 PM

Yes--and I use it to wind my bobbins instead of the Singer 99. It just bird nests and skips on the actually sewing.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:36 PM

I understand that you're not going to toss the machine, it has very dear memories for you and that's perfectly okay.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:42 PM

I wish you were near Denver, I would love to try to help you getting your machine sewing again. It almost sounds like it just needs a good cleaning, lube and maybe some adjustment. Sometimes, it truly is just something simple. I'm going to refer you to https://archaicarcane.com/fly-little...-nests-part-1/ I haven't read it all, but I know she has many helpful posts and youtube videos. Another couple that I have referred to are https://archaicarcane.com/fragile-te...-equal-stress/ and https://archaicarcane.com/the-looses...-thread-nests/

Are you threading the tension with the presser foot up?

Are you holding the thread tails behind the foot when you start to sew?

Have you taken the bobbin case out and cleaned around the feed dogs?

Is the bobbin case holder in the correct position and tightened down?

Not affiliated with off-site link(s)