2021 Fabric Moratorium

Old 05-07-2021, 08:19 PM
Power Poster

I'm using some bits and pieces in a couple of minis...just doesn't make much of a dent in the stash though!
Old 05-08-2021, 08:24 AM

Hey everyone,
I just posted a pic of my finished April Colorblock quilt in the pics section. If you get time, take a look. It's all from scraps and stash. I'm starting to see some progress in getting my 2.5" squares under control LOL. I need to decide that next year I'm going to do one of these every month for my 2" squares and my 3.5" squares and.....

Rob
Old 05-08-2021, 10:57 AM

So.... in The Time Before Covid. I went to a quilt retreat and won 1 yard of sunflower fabric. What to do with this lovely but large scale print? Think I'm pretty happy with the results.

But the back! I had 1 yard of the green paisley and a few unused blocks. And then an unused but beautiful FQ of a quilt block. Oh wait. Not big enough. Add another yard of tan brown tree leaves. Gosh darn it! Still need more....ok raid for the deeper reddish brown....and...whew!

Now how to quilt? Straight lines across the sunflower blocks and the it sat for another month while I stewed on what to do in the star blocks. In the end I'm pretty happy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210507_201405195.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	562.2 KB
ID:	633297   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210507_201256732.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	491.2 KB
ID:	633298  
Old 05-08-2021, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

I managed to use more stash fabric the past couple weeks- I agreed to do a test pattern for the Quilt Pattern Magazine (TQPM)
just because I knew I had everything I needed, I found enough of a fabric I had used in a pieced quilt to use for a back- another 3 1/2 yards used up, I gave my son 4 yards of black he needed and threw in 3 different charm packs I’ve had at least 5 years. He sent me up 7 quilt tops to get quilted- I know I have backings for at least 4 or 5 of them & if I get creative probably all of them.
pother than the stack of wide backs I have on one shelf all of my other stash is becoming smaller- not a lot of yardage pieces anymore. I’m going to have to start being more creative to use it up. We are going on vacation the end of the month and Jeff has asked me about 20 times if I’ve looked up quilt shops along our route, he’s always enjoyed visiting new shops in new places with me ( and spends more than I do on what he thinks I need)
This year with everything as it is I figure if we see one- and it’s actually open- we will stop, I’m not going to plan any.
Old 05-08-2021, 04:14 PM

Good job, RF1010! I love the way the different sized patterns play together on the front and the inventiveness of the back with the orphan blocks and additional pieces from stash.

Rob
Old 05-08-2021, 05:51 PM

oksewglad: It’s about the enjoyment of doing the minis for you. The small use of fabric is the bonus.

Rob: Very pretty April Color Block quilt! I like your idea of continuing one a month for next year. I don’t have enough selection of 2.5” squuares so I need to cut more each month. I’m thinking by the end of the year, I will have more squares than I started with in January. 🤷‍♀️ At least the patterns are fun and they use stash.

Rff1010: Lovely quilt and great use of the sunflower fabric. Creative back, also.

ckcowl: Wahoo to using up those bigger pieces of yardage. I hope you find some open quilt shops on your vacation.

Old 05-08-2021, 08:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rff1010 View Post
So.... in The Time Before Covid. I went to a quilt retreat and won 1 yard of sunflower fabric. What to do with this lovely but large scale print? Think I'm pretty happy with the results.

But the back! I had 1 yard of the green paisley and a few unused blocks. And then an unused but beautiful FQ of a quilt block. Oh wait. Not big enough. Add another yard of tan brown tree leaves. Gosh darn it! Still need more....ok raid for the deeper reddish brown....and...whew!

Now how to quilt? Straight lines across the sunflower blocks and the it sat for another month while I stewed on what to do in the star blocks. In the end I'm pretty happy.
And that's how you make use of fabric you have on hand!
Old 05-08-2021, 08:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
oksewglad: It’s about the enjoyment of doing the minis for you. The small use of fabric is the bonus.
Oh so right, C. I'm making little rail fences...1 1/4" finished with 5 strips and then some 1" finished with 4 rails. Want to have some on hand for a couple of fund raisers! Have a couple of center flimsies that need borders. LOL sometimes my bindings take more fabric than the borders! I finished a little piece with 94 pieces for my friend who lost her 94 yo mom this spring as well as a UFO that's in memory of my dear aunt. Gonna take a few minutes and spend some time finding fabric for the flimsies.
Old 05-09-2021, 04:14 PM

I was going to give myself a pass to order something today since I figured there would be some Mother's Day sales going on. Most of the big online quilt shops kept it really low-key this year. No deals worth jumping on, and nothing that really grabbed me, anyway. I think I'm just looking for that bit of excitement that comes with ordering something new, tracking the package, and starting something you just know is going to be beautiful.

I've been working on some free motion quilting for a lap quilt from a pattern called Fat Quarter Dash by Emily Dennis. I'm going to hand sew the binding for this one.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:03 PM

After spending a few weeks (off and on) organizing, cleaning and pulling out items I no longer "loved", i am done. I must say it was therapeutic to go through the process and "see" what i have to work with. I need to pull fabric for binding of quilted items I did during COVID so I am off and running. I uncovered lots of scraps from previous projects such as face masks and with three 2 gallon bags of strings of different colors, I think I will spend some mindless time sewing while catching up on audiobooks. So inspired by your projects!