Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Wondering which Model 66 red eye I have >

Wondering which Model 66 red eye I have

Wondering which Model 66 red eye I have

Old 05-10-2021, 07:39 AM

Question Wondering which Model 66 red eye I have

Hello everyone. I'm new to QB, but have already found a wealth of helpful information while searching prior posts and threads - I'm so glad I found this group! I recently purchased a 1923 Model 66 Red Eye treadle machine that I am restoring for my own use. Luckily, it was in pretty decent shape, all parts moving fairly easily as they should, so I mainly just need to give it a good clean, and replace a few missing bits such as the slide cover and the belt.

But in doing research here and elsewhere, I've come across references to Model 66-1, 66-3, 66-4 and 66-16. ISMACS lists this as a model 66, but that is all the information I have. Could someone tell me how to tell which sub-class of the 66 I have or what the difference is between the different sub-classes (i.e., difference between a 66-3 and a 66-4 or a 66-16)?
(I tried to upload a photo but kept getting an "Upload of file failed." message Not sure why - the pic is under 5MB)
Many thanks, in advance, for any insight you can provide!
Kelly
Old 05-10-2021, 08:17 AM

Welcome, Kelly. I know it says 5MB, but that isn't right. It is more like less than 1.9MB Since you said it was a treadle, I'm guessing it has a spoked hand wheel. The 66's can be a little tricky. However, since you said it had "red head" decals and was a 1923 year of manufacture, I'm thinking that it probably has the side mount presser feet. That would make it a 66-4. http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...sses-1-99.html Actually there isn't a whole lot of differences.

Did you get a manual with it?

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

By the way, where in Kansas? I lived in SW KS in the late 70s and early 80s. We have a few members from KS LeonF is in eastern KS.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 05-10-2021, 08:37 AM

Welcome, also, and I agree with Janey, we like pictures.

I have used the chart on this page when trying to figure out a 66 variant:

https://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/66
Old 05-10-2021, 11:42 AM

I am from Topeka. I don't care much about model sub numbers. (sorry) Just a heads up about your belt. It will be longer than you need. It will need to be cut and punched for your specific machine.
Welcome aboard. I have a few machines..

https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...951-591877.jpg
Old 05-10-2021, 11:45 AM

These pliers are made for cutting and punching. A bit pricey, but mine came with a treadle.

https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...181-622077.jpg
Old 05-10-2021, 06:34 PM

Thanks, Janey and JoeJr., for the welcome and the helpful links! I've managed to attach a couple photos this time (I think! lol), although neither the wheel nor the presser foot are visible, as they'd already been removed for cleaning. But you are correct that the wheel is spoked and the presser foot is side mounting. It's subclass/variant # isn't that important to me - I think she's a beauty, regardless - I just hadn't known that additional numbered classifications beyond "66", "15" etc. existed So my question was more just to learn more about these marvels of machinery. I imagine I'll end up owning more than one vIntage machine but want to be much more knowledgeable about them before I invest in the next one.

Until last year, I lived in Lawrence, KS - just 30 minutes East of Leonf in Topeka. Now I live in the home where I grew up, another 40 miles East in a suburb of Kansas City, just 4 miles from the Missouri border. I had friends who grew up in Garden
City, though - there's not much that's further SW than that in KS!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mid clean.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	633329   Click image for larger version

Name:	treadle table.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	633330  
Old 05-10-2021, 06:50 PM

Thanks for the welcome, Leon. We're nearly neighbors - I live in Overland Park.
Having never owned a vintage Singer or a treadle before, I know I'll be spending quite a bit o' time researching all things restoration... including how to install the belt. I have the old leather belt - found it in one of the drawers. It was broken, but I at least could see how the two ends are attached to close the circle.
LOVE your collection! I know I'll buy other vintage machines over time, although almost every sale posting I saw before buying this one was for the machine head AND table - very few machines being sold just by themselves or in a portable case. I don't have the space to own multiple vintage machines each in their own table!
Kelly
Old 05-10-2021, 07:00 PM

Nice looking machine. It looks like you may be using 3-in-1 oil. Most will tell you to keep it away from sewing machines. You need regular sewing machine oil or Tri-Flo oil.

I'd say it was a 66-4. It looks like there may be a few discrepancies between the two lists. Here is a page from the 1924 catalog for Singer sewing machines - https://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollec...s/image209.htm

There are lots of sites and videos of how to install a treadle belt.

Actually, I lived in Holcomb so a little west of Garden City (5 miles) .

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 05-11-2021, 03:47 AM

What a gorgeous machine!! It looks like it's hardly been used.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:54 AM

HI Kelly. I frequently get near the OP area. Sometimes to grab sewing machines.

I hope it is just the angle, but I am not seeing the big power pulley to run your belt on the right side of your treadle assembly.
is it there?...

My GF and I love to demonstrate hand crank machines and have folks use them. We see 1,400 kids on Ks Day.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rita iris JC cwf backs b.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	633334