Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual quilting weekend 5/14-5/16/21 >

Virtual quilting weekend 5/14-5/16/21

Virtual quilting weekend 5/14-5/16/21

Old 05-14-2021, 10:40 AM

I like it the way it is. It makes the quilt interesting.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:18 AM

Hi all, thank you Heather for hosting again

I'll be here for at least some of the weekend. My main focus is stitching down part of 9 appliqued reindeer heads (pieces are already fused). Hubby thinks it's hilarious that I'm working on a Christmas quilt in May, but I'm figuring maybe this way I actually get it done before Christmas?...

If I manage to get all of those done (unlikely), or get frustrated, then I'm hoping to work on a long dormant UFO: Sylvia's Bridal Sampler. I've done 52 of the 140 blocks over the course of about a decade (and some of the completed blocks are definitely going to need re-doing - but not yet. I'm focussing on the not-yet-attempted ones for now). So I'm poking at that and seeing what happens. I have discovered that a lot of the blocks seem to use foundation piecing (not my preferred method at the best of times) in situations I would (in my ignorance?) have thought unnecessary. And the instructions for said foundation piecing are un-numbered. So I will need to do some investigating about how to approach this.

I look forward to seeing and hearing about everyone else's projects.

cjsews - I'd leave it as it is, as I think it looks gorgeous

Happy Quilting!
Old 05-14-2021, 11:44 AM

Thanks ladies. After a break from the machine and your replies I attached the binding. Ready to hand stitch it later. Now on to the next quilt to be quilted.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:32 PM

I wish I could join in, but I'm making six cork leather handbags, cleaning house, tending to the yard and hosting a barbecue on Sunday, smoking four racks of ribs in my vertical pellet smoker, which I absolutely love.

I will follow along and applaud for what everyone else accomplishes - I never get tired of looking at the pictures!

@cjsews that's really pretty - and I like the diagonal quilting.

Go, go, go, quilters! From the cheerleader corner.

🤸 📣🤸‍♂️ 📣🤸
Old 05-14-2021, 12:41 PM

Hi everyone, glad to be joining you for some sewing time this weekend. Just today I finished this top for our guild veteran's program. I will be shopping with my daughter for most of tomorrow, but I would also like to work on some of the May blocks for Harriet's Journey.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20210514_163324.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	426.2 KB
ID:	633391  
Old 05-14-2021, 12:43 PM

Hey everybody - Heather, thanks again for another quilting weekend, judging by my forecast, it's going to be a good one to stay in my quilting corner - rain all weekend.

Right now, I am sitting here completely blocked off from my sewing machine because I have five storage bags and cubes blocking my way. Every sheet, pillow case, comforter, quilt, fall and winter clothes are now neatly folded and organized, I've just got to move them to the spot I'm going to place them in. I'm about two weeks behind getting that done, but it's done now, one final push and I'll be done until November. Ridiculous number of migraines holding me down this last month.

My goals this weekend are to finish piecing my niece's quilt, get the border on and then I'm cutting down some white fabric with some batting to make practice FMQ sandwiches. A little nervous about the border, I'm doing mitered corners this time and instead of one border, I'm doing four. If I get done early enough, I've got some foam boards, I'm going to make some dividers and trays to organize my bin just a little more than it is, so bonus project in the wings, I'm hoping to get it done.

Will post pictures of my niece's quilt later.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:13 PM

My goal this weekend is to bind a quilt and make a sleeve on the back to hang it. Then to do a block or two on the quilt for my daughter.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:27 PM

One baby quilt quilted. Give it back to owner tomorrow. Then I will get another top (for my brother) on the machine to quilt out. Sunday I plan to quilt a QOV top or raggedy Ann top.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:30 PM

Yippy! Another quilting weekend! Here's my projects:
  1. Cleaned my iron this morning!
  2. I have 3 more seams to sew on my diagonal set of baskets. I'm hoping to finish it by Sunday night.
  3. Bind a small scrappy baby quilt
  4. Load another Linus project quilt on the frame
I'm clearing space for the BOOM26 fabrics to start arriving in a little over a week!
Old 05-14-2021, 10:35 PM

This is what I'm starting with

(blocks along the top are my first 2 rows so far of Sylvia's Bridal Sampler, my UFO to potter on with)

Priority is stitching the reindeer heads (only fused right now)

Let's quilt!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Q Reindeer heads and SBS May 2021.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	384.8 KB
ID:	633399