Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 15-91 Opportunity to buy--should I >

Singer 15-91 Opportunity to buy--should I

Singer 15-91 Opportunity to buy--should I

Old 05-24-2021, 03:56 PM

Default Singer 15-91 Opportunity to buy--should I

Hello--Well I have gotten the vintage machine bug---I have an opportunity to purchase a singer 15-91 with the original stand for $250. Made in Canada on the top and the serial number appears to be JC then numerals. It appears to be in great shape and seller says it works---will verify that. It even has an original singer green box with parts in it. I have read up on the 15-91 but wanted to put it out there for others to comment. I really am in love with it.

I have a 1958 Singer 99--runs like a dream
1928 Singer 66- treadle--awaiting refurbishing
2 Singer Sonata's
New Brother Machine (not really liking it)
Old 05-24-2021, 04:03 PM

I would keep looking. That's a whole lot of money for a 15-91, at least based on what I've bought and sold in my area, around St Louis. The only way I would even consider it is if it has been completely serviced including all new wiring, and then I'd still offer a lot less than that.
Old 05-25-2021, 04:13 AM

That's a lot for a 15-91 in the DFW area, too. They are great machines, though. They say they are great for FMQ.
bkay
Old 05-25-2021, 04:17 AM

My daily user is a 15-91 which was bought here in Ontario for $40 (4 yrs ago now), set in a No.40 table so have to agree with the others....way too much , but awesome machines i say
Old 05-25-2021, 04:42 AM

I agree with the others, unless 15-91s are very uncommon where you live. If it has rare or uncommon accessories, it might be worth that much, too.

A completely refurbed machine and cabinet would be worth it, too. It was my main machine for ten years and I sewed everything from jersey knits to light leather and cork on it. Awesome machines.
Old 05-25-2021, 05:43 AM

I had looked at them on Etsy, Ebay and a place that sells them online and thought the price was in line with how those were priced. I live in very northern NY near the Canadian border. In general I have not seen any vintage singers in years around here, and if they are they are in the estate sale auctions. I am amazed that JoeJr was able to come across all those machines. Ironically I am about 30 min away from Singer Castle--the summer home of the Singer Sewing Machine company family. With it being in the original cabinet I didn't think the price was that $$$. If someone knows of a place to purchase one cheaper please let me know.
Old 05-25-2021, 06:20 AM

I have a friend who lives in the Milwaukee area, so I check things there. If I was going to spend that kind of money, I would lean in the direction of something like this

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/atq...323810656.html

It's also something you don't see a lot. It doesn't have the potted motor, but that would be my preference anyway, only for maintenance reasons.
Old 05-25-2021, 06:48 AM

If old Singers are not common in your area, maybe it's not too much. They are fairly common here. Also, I live in a large metropolitan area with somewhere around 3 million people within 50 miles. So we have lots of opportunities. I would still offer less and see if they would take it.

Double check the wiring and see if it is cracked or "melted" looking. Machines with worn decals bring less than those with nice decals. Also, sew on it. Take your own fabric and thread when you go to look at it.

The first machine I bought was set up and had the light on when I got there. Under the presser foot was fabric with a nice line of stitching on it. It looked as if it was sewn on that machine. It wasn't. The feed dogs were totally worn down, so it couldn't have been sewn on that machine. It wasn't an expensive fix, thank heavens.

bkay
Old 05-25-2021, 02:24 PM

@Heathermom2opmc If the machine has all the decals in top shape, has had a full service (all completely rewired - incl. motor) and the cabinet was in perfect condition with a stool....I may be tempted at that price but would always haggle as much as. I can vouch for these machines I think, I've used one consistently for last 4 yrs now daily putting in around 20-30 hrs of use (sometimes more) each week of sewing machine time. Really want the machine fully refurbished at that price regardless of location i say. Another will come along when you least expect if you choose to hold off
Old 05-25-2021, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Heathermom2opmc View Post
I live in very northern NY near the Canadian border. In general I have not seen any vintage singers in years around here, and if they are they are in the estate sale auctions.
Yes, location plays a big part. I searched locally for years for a red-eye 66 at a price I could afford at the time and * poof * two appeared within a few weeks of each other. One had fairly sound decals and I was able to completely restore the finish, re-wire it, make it run perfectly. The other looked the same, but acted very differently when I started trying to clean it. Wiping it with sewing machine oil took the color and gold off of the decals - they were shot and I will have to apply reproduction decals. You win some you lose some, right?

If this machine is in your budget and you really want it - go for it - I am still kicking myself for a beautiful blue machine I didn't buy years ago.

Like someone else has said, "sometimes the heart just wants what it wants."

Either way, good luck and I hope you enjoy your decision, whichever way you go. It's a darned good machine, even if you may have to put some real elbow grease into cleaning and restoring it to full working order. That is its own kind of enjoyment, so it might be a double-win for you, too.