Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome machines .. like/dislike? >

Janome machines .. like/dislike?

Janome machines .. like/dislike?

Old 03-05-2010, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
Well, I just bought the Juki TL98Q the other day but haven't recieved it yet.
I have one -- you will love it. BTW I did have to put a piece of styrofoam for a stopper under the foot feed so I didnt go sooooooo fast :)

lyn
Old 03-05-2010, 05:19 AM

Jared,
I've had a MQ 4800 for several years - great basic machine, nice stitches, runs well, etc. I just bought the new machine - the 1100 with the ability to quilt and embroider - LOVE it! Sews very well through all layers, even stitches. Very easy to do free motion quilting, too.

Phoebe
Old 03-05-2010, 06:03 AM

I bought a Janome 6600 last spring after my husband jerry-rigged a new motor on my lifelong favorite sewing machine, my trusty Bernina 831. He was afraid we couldn't find a new motor again, and urged me to get a second machine to fill my needs. I love the needle down, the decorative stitches, the larger area to the right of the foot, the built in auto feed option, the 1/4 inch foot, the knee lift lever. The machine has been quite good for me and my sewing needs are nearly 100% patchwork and quilting. I am happy to have a reliable dealer near me as a resource. I would like the auto needle threading feature if I could just get the hang of it - it is a little frustrating. The thing I like the least is how hard it is to change feet and needles- my Bernina spoiled me, I guess, because everything was so accessible and easy to get to. Good luck and Happy sewing!
Old 03-05-2010, 06:49 AM

I bought my machine about 8 years ago. I was looking at the Janome Memory Craft 4000 at the time and the dealer had marked it down from $1200 to $999. It had 150+ built in stitches plus many more great features and I was very tempted, but decided to wait and see if I wanted it badly enough to spend the money. My mother loved her Kenmore so I decided to see what Sears had to offer.... I found a Kenmore with the same features for $599. Had no idea at the time that Janome made the Kenmore machines. Anyway what I'm trying to say is find a Janome that you love and then see how it compares to Kenmore. I absolutely love mine. Good Luck!
Old 03-05-2010, 07:12 AM

When you said that Elna was a step above Janome, I think they're made by the same manufacturer, just like the Kenmore. That's why many of the reader/writers and emboridery cards etc. are interchangeable. So, I don't think Elna is better than Janome. Just my 2 cents... all 3 of the brands are made with basically the same parts and design.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:30 AM

Anyone looking at a new machine should also check to see how much the accessories are. The additional feet for some machines can cost a FORTUNE ! ! ! One good thing about Janome is that they usually come with almost all of the additional feet.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:36 AM

I love my Janome with a deep throat. Which is very nice when you are quilting. There are other nice little thing that is nice. The thread cutter is a good one and it has a lot of build in pattern. Check it out. Crafty
Old 03-05-2010, 07:48 AM

I got a new Janome6600 as an early Christmas present. My only complaint is the crowded area where your fingers have to go to change needles or feet. The snap on feet are no problem.I do wish the light source on the machine was better too. I use this machine everyday.I love the 1/4" foot, the thread cutter, and the push button control to run the machine without the foot pedal. This is really great for doing fmq.I keep my instruction book by the machine so I can learn all the things it can do!
Any new machine has some learning curve involved, but this was probably the easiest machine to adapt to.

Ditter
Old 03-05-2010, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Anyone looking at a new machine should also check to see how much the accessories are. The additional feet for some machines can cost a FORTUNE ! ! ! One good thing about Janome is that they usually come with almost all of the additional feet.
And it's nice that Janome feet are really not that expensive compared to Bernina feet.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Candace
When you said that Elna was a step above Janome, I think they're made by the same manufacturer, just like the Kenmore. That's why many of the reader/writers and emboridery cards etc. are interchangeable. So, I don't think Elna is better than Janome. Just my 2 cents... all 3 of the brands are made with basically the same parts and design.
Well to me it "felt" a bit fancier. I have a janome now, I know Elna and Janome are made in the same plant, but I like the way Elna looks.