My poor robin

Old 06-03-2021, 05:57 AM

Default My poor robin

You ladies seem to know the solution for lots of things so I am asking for help. I have a robin trying to get in my window. He will perch on the window ledge then take a 'flying leap' up to the window. I have tried putting hanging things in that window to let him know he can't get through. I feel so bad for him and this has been going on all day, every day for over a month.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:08 AM

I think he is prob seeing a reflection of himself in the glass and trying to chase away the "other" bird. Either that or a reflection of a tree limb. I've had that happen at my house re the tree limb. I would sugges maybe covering the area of the window for a couple of days, and he should move on. Birds often fly into windows and get concussions or break their necks. It is sad to see.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

We had birds flying into our bedroom window. We finally resorted to buying a piece of the wooden lattice just the right size to fit into the outside window opening. There is about 1/2 inch air space so if they do fly in they bounce and don’t die. I think there is window tape that you put every four inches to deter birds but I don’t know if it works.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
You ladies seem to know the solution for lots of things so I am asking for help. I have a robin trying to get in my window. He will perch on the window ledge then take a 'flying leap' up to the window. I have tried putting hanging things in that window to let him know he can't get through. I feel so bad for him and this has been going on all day, every day for over a month.
Try googling your problem! Often you'll find many answers there! Good luck to you and Robby!
Old 06-03-2021, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

I solved this problem (with a cardinal) by hanging a sheet over the window. This blocked any reflection and the little guy moved on.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:20 AM

We had a pair of robins nesting out side our bedroom window for a couple years. Of course with their nest right there they weren't going anywhere. Sew like SBG, I covered the window with a non reflective plastic. It worked the first year. So when they started hitting the window the second year we put it up again. They didn't next there last year. I was much relieved.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:04 AM

Like others have said it could see itself and want to mate/fight, or see trees and think it can get to them. It could also be going after bugs. We get a lot of birds who fly around the windows and gutters/eaves snagging bugs. We also have birds who know the window is our house and will come and stare in at us when the feeders are empty. But Robins have never done this! We do have to remove many nests each year right as they start making them because they just LOVE to nest where they shouldn't like right in the middle of the treads on our stairs out the back door! But I think the birds think our house as something safe so they tend to almost want to move right in!
Old 06-03-2021, 12:49 PM

It is so funny that you asked about this today. We have had the same problem for the last month or so. It was really bad last night, the robin was hitting our bedroom window late into the night. It started again this morning at 5 am.

I looked online and found many recommendations. Several sites mentioned using tape or glass markers to make vertical lines on the outside of the window. One site mentioned using soap. I tried the soap since I had that available. I marked vertical lines on three different windows several hours ago. So far so good. It's actually raining right now and the soap is staying in place. Hopefully it will continue to work, we need a bit more sleep than robins do evidently.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:58 PM

Our California Towhee's land on our car side mirrors and bash themselves into the mirror over and over again. Poor things. My husband covered the side mirrors with some cardboard. I just have to remember to take the cardboard off when I want to drive!!
Old 06-04-2021, 06:54 AM

E-gads. We had just washed our windows and they are now a mess - again!!! I was with a friend last night and she solved her problem last year by putting a silhouette of an owl in the window. The concept is that the birds are afraid of owls. I had a wreath of an owl from when they were such a popular thing and put it in the window. It worked (for a day anyway). BUT, now she has moved to our sliding glass door on our back porch!!!! I'm now going to go out and try the soap idea. Keeping my fingers crossed.