Question for prewashers

Question for prewashers

Old 06-07-2021, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

https://www.colorwaysbyvicki.com/upl...edingquilt.pdf

Read from the beginning through the very last paragraph -

It is all relevant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2021, 10:24 AM

I always prewash, using normal laundry detergent and the short cycle, then the dryer on full heat. Hey, these quilts are going to be laundered that way going forward!

I have not had any trouble with raveling the edges with good quality quilt cottons, or flannels. I have even laundered fat quarter packs using the gentle cycle in the washing machine.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:59 AM

I know you are asking about the fabric - but I get a runny nose when I'm sewing but I think it's thread lint. Thought it might be something for you to consider.
Admittedly I'm not a prewasher, so I didn't consider it being the fabric.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:24 PM
Power Poster

I prewash all fabrics as soon as I bring them home. I use cold water tide for everything I wash. 2 or 3 yards I dry separately on low and dry them until dry. I lay on dining table smooth fold smooth then fold them using a 6x24" ruler and smooth as I fold. When I am ready to use them only the fold really need to be pressed.

I don't buy any precuts.

My washer keeps machine balanced.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:42 PM

I never prewashed until I started doing appliqué. Now I wash everything but precuts. I just throw it in with a load o clothes but in a sweater bag to limit fraying. I have an old singer pinker that I think I will begin using thanks to an earlier poster. Thanks for the idea!
Old 06-07-2021, 12:44 PM

I'm a sometimes yes, sometimes no, prewasher. A lot depends on the fabric and what I'm doing with it. If its for a wall hanging that most likely will never get washed, I don't bother. Quilts, maybe. Clothing, always if it's washable. I usually serge the ends of the yardage to keep it from raveling. I hate the mess.

I've never had my machine unbalance with fabric. Most just with heavy rugs.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by eliza422 View Post
I know you are asking about the fabric - but I get a runny nose when I'm sewing but I think it's thread lint. Thought it might be something for you to consider.
Admittedly I'm not a prewasher, so I didn't consider it being the fabric.
I’m thinking it is probably the lint bothering me also, which I am hoping that washing the fabric may help...maybe not. Hmmm...I am between quilts at the moment, so maybe I will experiment with washing up some fabrics to make a simple baby quilt and see what happens. Will report back!
Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and tips!
Old 06-08-2021, 01:52 AM

No mention of batiks. I prewash those separate because I'm afraid of their dye running. I separate lights and darks to prewash. Just started storing on mag boards and don't iron until use.
Note: I just bought a bunch of pieces of solid fabric (back into applique). Tide pod's colors (bluish and greenish) stained my lavender piece. Washed it again by itself in hot, but no change. Now I will add pods in first, not last, and am searching for new detergent!